From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Replacement for Thunderbird.
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:08:43
1 On Sat, 17 Nov 2007, Florian D. wrote:
2 > Mark Haney wrote:
3 > > Well, I'm sitting here reading about the lack of thunderbird devel
4 > > over the next year or two until the new Mozilla project (or whatever
5 > > you wish to call it) gets rolling and I'm wondering, what is a good
6 > > replacement for Tbird, specifically for KDE.
7 > >
8 > > I use Evolution when I'm in GNOME at home, but I've really disliked
9 > > it's direction recently. KMail works off and on, but might be
10 > > suitable. But are there any others out there not built with gtk+ so
11 > > I don't have to compile all that just for one app?
14 > That is a good question. I cannot support all the votes for kmail. If
15 > you want to switch to mdir based mailboxes and you want to use kmail
16 > just as a local mailbox reader, the first thing that kmail does, is to
17 > move all your mails into some obscure ~/kde3.5/share/apps/kmail/...
18 > directory. After that, your mails are not available for other
19 > mail-clients any more. nice behaviour, isn't it?
20 > I couldn't find a way to tell kmail not to do that, but to read the
21 > mails from the preconfigured place instead.
22 >
23 > A second point is, that kmail does not scale well for large mailboxes.
26 I've been using kmail for years, and it's always been happy to keep my
27 email under ~/Mail and I have no trouble using mutt to access the kmail
28 directory when I an logged in via ssh.
29
30 As for scaling, I have some folders with over 3000 messages in them, and
31 can't recall any problems accessing them. What size mailbox do you
32 consider to be "large" and what scaling problems does it trigger?
36 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
37 Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
38 http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
39 --
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list