From: "Florian D." <flockmock@×××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Replacement for Thunderbird.
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:56:37
1 Mark Haney wrote:
2 > Well, I'm sitting here reading about the lack of thunderbird devel over
3 > the next year or two until the new Mozilla project (or whatever you wish
4 > to call it) gets rolling and I'm wondering, what is a good replacement
5 > for Tbird, specifically for KDE.
6 >
7 > I use Evolution when I'm in GNOME at home, but I've really disliked it's
8 > direction recently. KMail works off and on, but might be suitable. But
9 > are there any others out there not built with gtk+ so I don't have to
10 > compile all that just for one app?
13 That is a good question. I cannot support all the votes for kmail. If
14 you want to switch to mdir based mailboxes and you want to use kmail
15 just as a local mailbox reader, the first thing that kmail does, is to
16 move all your mails into some obscure ~/kde3.5/share/apps/kmail/...
17 directory. After that, your mails are not available for other
18 mail-clients any more. nice behaviour, isn't it?
19 I couldn't find a way to tell kmail not to do that, but to read the
20 mails from the preconfigured place instead.
21
22 A second point is, that kmail does not scale well for large mailboxes.
23 --
24 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list