From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Replacement for Thunderbird.
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:41:32
1 On Samstag, 17. November 2007, Florian D. wrote:
2 > Mark Haney wrote:
3 > > Well, I'm sitting here reading about the lack of thunderbird devel over
4 > > the next year or two until the new Mozilla project (or whatever you wish
5 > > to call it) gets rolling and I'm wondering, what is a good replacement
6 > > for Tbird, specifically for KDE.
7 > >
8 > > I use Evolution when I'm in GNOME at home, but I've really disliked it's
9 > > direction recently. KMail works off and on, but might be suitable. But
10 > > are there any others out there not built with gtk+ so I don't have to
11 > > compile all that just for one app?
12 >
13 > That is a good question. I cannot support all the votes for kmail. If
14 > you want to switch to mdir based mailboxes and you want to use kmail
15 > just as a local mailbox reader, the first thing that kmail does, is to
16 > move all your mails into some obscure ~/kde3.5/share/apps/kmail/...
17
18 no, it really does not. It uses ~/Mail like everybody else.
19
20 > directory. After that, your mails are not available for other
21 > mail-clients any more. nice behaviour, isn't it?
22
23 they are very available (not like evolution, which really fucks you up).
24
25 > I couldn't find a way to tell kmail not to do that, but to read the
26 > mails from the preconfigured place instead.
27 >
28 > A second point is, that kmail does not scale well for large mailboxes.
29
30 Is 33600 mails large or 59000 (just gentoo mails)?
31 --
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list