From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Replacement for Thunderbird.
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:03:53
1 * Florian D. <flockmock@×××.at> wrote:
2
3 Hi folks,
4
5 I just joined this list yesterday, so I miss parts of this thread ...
6
7 > That is a good question. I cannot support all the votes for kmail. If
8 > you want to switch to mdir based mailboxes and you want to use kmail
9 > just as a local mailbox reader, the first thing that kmail does, is to
10 > move all your mails into some obscure ~/kde3.5/share/apps/kmail/...
11 > directory. After that, your mails are not available for other
12 > mail-clients any more. nice behaviour, isn't it?
13 > I couldn't find a way to tell kmail not to do that, but to read the
14 > mails from the preconfigured place instead.
15
16 Last time I tried it was years ago, I didn't like it. Too fat
17 (requires the whole KDE stuff) and too complicated in use.
18 I'm actually an mutt guy, sometimes using seamonkey's mail stuff.
19
20 The only reason for installing TB is the support for RSS feeds
21 (mutt IMHO doesnt have this yet).
22
23 Evrything could be much easier, if every MUA just used 9p-mailfs,
24 and the actual mailbox (and remote protocol) handling is done
25 in the 9p server ;-o
28 cu
29 --
31 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
33 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
34 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
35 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
36 http://patches.metux.de/
38 --
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list