From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Radeon driver update
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 16:47:37
1 2009/1/1 Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>:
2 > Duncan wrote:
3 >
4 >> If you have your old xorg log files or your old xf86-video-ati and perhaps
5 >> xorg-server packages binpkged (as you likely will if you run
6 >> FEATURES=buildpkg)to downgrade temporarily to and check the log file, it
7 >> should list the DPI it was using in the log file. You can of course see
8 >> what the current config is using in the current logfile, and compare them to
9 >> that 96 or 100 DPI that I calculated, to see whether your old setup or your
10 >> new setup is closer to what the actual physical hardware DPI is.
13 > Duncan, as always you get to the core of it. As one who doesn't muck with X
14 > very often, since I want it to 'just work', and one who hasn't kept up with
15 > the latest X developments, I'm curious to see how well X will detect my
16 > monitor.
17 >
18 > I went back to the old xf86-video-ati package (binpkg is a godsend, BTW) and
19 > my screen is back to 'normal', that is it's the way I'm used to seeing it.
20 > I will pull this log file and upgrade to the new package and pull that log
21 > file and see what the differences are.
22 >
23 > I will let you know in a day or two how things shake out. Thanks again for
24 > all the info.
27 one of the things that really changed a lot was the move of freetype and type1
28 fonts modules from plugins to xorg internal. if you're using 1.3
29 switch to 1.4 and you
30 should get this back working. you'd see these warning/error lines:
31
32 (II) LoadModule: "type1"
33 (WW) Warning, couldn't open module type1
34 (II) UnloadModule: "type1"
35 (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
36 (II) LoadModule: "freetype"
37 (WW) Warning, couldn't open module freetype
38 (II) UnloadModule: "freetype"
39 (EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
40
41 but don't really worry much about them. since the modules are inside
42 xorg itself they
43 should just work.
44 and i really suggest the use of ~amd64 branch for xorg if you're on
45 intel or ati and don't
46 want to use the live packages. the portage stable versions are VERY
47 VERY old ones and
48 lack a lot of new cool stuff that xorg already has. in terms of
49 stability the unstable branch
50 has no problems when compared to the stable branch, but it's far far
51 better. i've been on
52 unstable or live branches for about 9 months and haven't found anyt
53 major issue. also the
54 xf86-video-ati is having a lot of new cool stuff and performance
55 increase that you won't see.
56 the latest portage driver 6.9.0 has been released 6 months ago and the
57 one you're using i
58 think it has more than one year. in that time this driver has had so
59 many improvements that
60 it almost as good as the official ati-driver, if not better.
61 here is an article about the new release candidate
62 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk1MQ
63 and about how this opensource driver has gotten tear free X-Video
64 support. if you still want
65 to go with stable stuff then switch to ati-drivers instead of
66 xf86-video-ati afer you've unmasked
67 this package. it's improvements are too big to still stay so much
68 behind on the prehistoric packages
69 you find in the portage stable tree.
72 dott. ing. beso