From: Chris Forsyth <chris.forsyth@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Install tips
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 02:21:41
1 Hey Peter
2 Ok I went ahead disable DRM in the Kernel. I emerge the ati drivers.
3 it complained about not having the right version of got an error message
4 about x11-base/xorg-sever. I emerge that file. Then I emerged the ati
5 drivers. I know I tried the echo command before removing the x11-base
6 file. The drivers took on the second time but when I try to start KDE I
7 get this message
10 New driver is "ati"
11 (==) Using default built-in configuration (53 lines)
12 (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
13 (EE) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (0)
14 (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
15 (EE) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (0)
16 (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
17 (EE) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (0)
18 (EE) Failed to load module "vga" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
19 (EE) module ABI minor version (6) is newer than the server's version (5)
20 (EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
21 (EE) module ABI minor version (6) is newer than the server's version (5)
22 (EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
23 (EE) No drivers available.
24
25 Fatal server error:
26 no screens found
27 XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
28 after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
29 Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
32 thanks
33
34 Chris
35
36 Peter Davoust wrote:
37 > I have the extact same card in a Compaq laptop. First, disable DRM in
38 > your kernel. Then emerge ati-drivers. If it fails, try to follow it's
39 > instructions, but if it fails during compile and gives you no
40 > suggestions, then echo "x11-drivers/ati-drivers ~amd64" >>
41 > /etc/portage/package.keywords and try again. It should work. If it
42 > doesn't, let me know and I'll try to give you some more details. I
43 > don't remember much because my last install was a few months ago.
44 >
45 > -Peter
46 >