From: "Juan Fco. Giordana" <juangiordana@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Symlinks vs. Bind mounts.
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:19:01
1 Morgan Wesström wrote:
2 > If I follow this advice, what happens when I compile something like
3 > Open Office which allocates 3-4GB in /var/tmp during compilation and
4 > I only have 2GB physical RAM in the computer?
5
6 If all the Virtual Memory (VM = RAM+SWAP) is exhausted the kernel will
7 try to kill the process that is consuming most of it. Daniel Robbins
8 explains precisely that behaviour in this article:
9
10 http://www.funtoo.org/en/articles/linux/ffg/3/
11
12 "So, the kernel mistakenly attacks the biggest VM-hog of a process it
13 can find, which is generally your X server if you happen to be running
14 one. So, your X server dies, and the root cause of the low-VM condition
15 (tmpfs) isn't addressed. Ick."
16
17 See "Avoiding low VM conditions".