From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Anybody having trouble with the via-velocity driver on 2.6.29?
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 12:16:00
1 Kyle Liddell <kyle@××××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 20090401060645.GA4182@athlon, excerpted below, on Wed, 01 Apr 2009
3 02:06:45 -0400:
4
5 > After upgrading the kernel from 2.6.28-gentoo-r3 to 2.6.29, I'm having a
6 > weird problem: If I make "light" use of the network (ssh, email, http,
7 > etc), no trouble. But, if I make "heavy" use of the network (say,
8 > copying a few GB from a local NFS server to /dev/null), the network
9 > interface stops working almost immediately. ifconfig, mii-tool, the
10 > NIC's led, and the switch's LED all say that the link is still up. But,
11 > all my connections time out, ping gets no replies, etc. (I'm using the
12 > via-velocity driver for my motherboard's built-in 1GB NIC.)
13
14 I'm unsure if your hardware is affected, but there's a known NAPI and
15 interrupt related regression in 2.6.29. It was due to a commit trying to
16 fix another bug just a few hours before release, and the discovery and
17 subsequent bug trace was one of two subthreads quickly attached to Linus'
18 2.6.29 official announcement. (FWIW, the other subthread was even more
19 fallout from the earlier ext4 data loss over improper shutdown, where
20 ext3 was fine. That has and continues to generate HUGE subthreads all
21 over the place, from the Ubuntu bug filing that was one of the first
22 reports of it to LKML to /. to LWN. ext4 may have had the dev- removed
23 from the name, but it's not exactly stable as this demonstrates, and
24 what's worse, many people including Ted Tso seem to think the problem
25 really is NOTABUG.)
26
27 Assuming your NIC hardware is indeed affected as it looks to be, if
28 there's nothing in 2.6.29 that you are really needing, consider reverting
29 to the 2.6.28.x stable series until at least 2.6.29.1 (and check its
30 changelog but it should be there). If you do need something in 2.6.29,
31 consider using the git snapshot from a day or two pre-release or go find
32 the thread on LKML and see if there's yet a good patch. (They were still
33 testing patches when I happened across the thread in my browsing, with
34 several proposals not quite fixing it, and it's significantly more
35 complicated than a simple revert of the problem commit, as other 2.6.29
36 changes triggered IRQ processing issues that weren't there in the
37 2.6.28.x stable series.)
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman