From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: AMD browsing and multimedia
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:10:44
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0612221103r68621369h7bc2cb19da0e246a@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:03:36 -0800:
4
5 > Is it possible to make all 3 of these technologies work in a single
6 > browser on AMD64?
7 >
8 > 1) Java
9 > 2) Flash
10 > 3) 32-bit streaming media?
11 >
12 > It seems that if I run firefox-bin I get most Flash and streaming
13 > media, or at least as much as I think I need. However I definitely do
14 > not get Java.
15 >
16 > It seems that if I run firefox compiled for 64-bit then Flash
17 > doesn't work and I don't think all Java does either, or at least on my
18 > system.
19
20 Assuming you are willing to run unfree binaries as it seems you are (I'm
21 not), you need 32-bit firefox, which as you said then allows you to load
22 32-bit flash and etc.
23
24 The problem you had with Java is likely because you have a 64-bit Java
25 installed. You'll need a 32-bit Java installed. Again, while Sun as
26 announced the GPLing of Java, to my knowledge it's not yet available as
27 free software so I won't run it (I've honestly not had reason to try kaffe
28 and the like), so I can't help you with the details, but it's possible
29 there's a 32-bit binary version of it you can merge.
30
31 The other problem with Java I've seen mentioned is that it sometimes can't
32 find the appropriate bitness version, so you have to point it at the
33 correct location. That is said to work, but again, I don't have the
34 details, so you'll need to get them from others.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list