From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Updates other than the masked one
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 20:09:33
1 On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Are you running standard amd64 keyword, or ~amd64?  It appears from that,
4 > that you'd be running amd64 (stable), because it's ~amd64 masked.
5 >
6 > So which version of kde (or kdelibs if you only have a few kde packages,
7 > not most/all of the software collection) is installed?  According to the
8 > changelog, kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta was only introduced for kde
9 > 4.3.4, the package didn't exist earlier.  But kde 4.3.4 is ~amd64
10 > masked.  So why is a package that never existed for previous versions now
11 > in your world file, or a dependency of something that is, if you're not
12 > yet running the ~amd64 kde 4.3.4?
13 >
14 > If you're running stable amd64 normally, but have whatever parts of kde
15 > 4.3.4 you have installed in your package.keywords file, then you now need
16 > to add kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta to it as well, as it's now required
17 > by kdelibs 4.3.4 (because upstream requires it, see gentoo bug #295456).
18 >
19 > Bottom line, if you have (amd64 stable) kdelibs-4.3.3 installed, kdebase-
20 > runtime-meta shouldn't be being pulled in, unless you're trying to
21 > upgrade whatever kde parts you have to 4.3.4.  If you have
22 > package.keyworded parts of kde 4.3.4 and have it installed, they you need
23 > to package.keyword kdebase-runtime-meta (and all the packages it pulls
24 > in), because it's now a dependency.  Either that, or downgrade back to
25 > 4.3.3 and remove the 4.3.4 package.keyword entries you already have, if
26 > you aren't prepared to keyword runtime-meta and its dependencies as well.
27 >
28 > ---
29 >
30 > Alternatively, and directly answering your question, tho it won't be
31 > supported and may not work so well, to get a list of @world upgrades, you
32 > can (temporarily) add kdebase-runtime-meta (and its dependencies) to your
33 > package.keywords, then do an emerge --pretend --update, and get a list.
34 > You can then update (emerge --oneshot package, so it doesn't put extra
35 > entries in your world file) the ones you want from that list,
36 > individually.  When you are done updating what you want, you can remove
37 > the temporary package.keywords, so they're masked again.
38 >
39 > But rather than that, I'd seriously recommend either downgrading to 4.3.3
40 > if you want to stick with stable, or keywording the rest of your kde
41 > 4.3.4 dependencies so all of kde is ~arch and sticking with 4.3.4.
42
43 Hi Duncan,
44
45 thanks for your clear explanation. Yes, I'm running stable, but have
46 installed KDE4 by adding a bunch of packages to the unmask list. I
47 didn't realise that with new packages for KDE4, I obviously had to add
48 them to the list.. So I added runtime-meta today and upgrading to the
49 latest packages was smooth as usual again :-)
50
51 Thanks!
52
53 Martin