From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Updates other than the masked one
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:32:09
1 Martin Herrman posted on Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:08:14 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > thanks for your clear explanation. Yes, I'm running stable, but have
4 > installed KDE4 by adding a bunch of packages to the unmask list. I
5 > didn't realise that with new packages for KDE4, I obviously had to add
6 > them to the list.. So I added runtime-meta today and upgrading to the
7 > latest packages was smooth as usual again :-)
8
9 Cool! =:^)
10
11 You didn't mention whether you read the bug I linked or not, but it gives
12 the reason behind the addition. Upstream kde is considering it "core"
13 now, and packages may begin to use any of the included runtime
14 functionality without warning. There's already (Gentoo-specific) bugs
15 appearing that they're having to deal with, because Gentoo wasn't
16 requiring it and thus certain assumed present functionality was missing.
17
18 As usual, individual Gentoo users can use package.provided to avoid
19 having to install some of the new packages if they only use individual
20 kde apps, but they do so in the knowledge that they are short-circuiting
21 a dependency mechanism and may be causing breakage to their own setup.
22 (One such example is amarok, which now requires certain kdebase-runtime
23 functionality for its lastfm support. Apparently, that functionality was
24 broken for some users that used it, who filed bugs, with this being the
25 resolution.)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman