From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Updates other than the masked one
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:52:24
1 On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Cool! =:^)
4 >
5 > You didn't mention whether you read the bug I linked or not, but it gives
6 > the reason behind the addition.  Upstream kde is considering it "core"
7 > now, and packages may begin to use any of the included runtime
8 > functionality without warning.  There's already (Gentoo-specific) bugs
9 > appearing that they're having to deal with, because Gentoo wasn't
10 > requiring it and thus certain assumed present functionality was missing.
11 >
12 > As usual, individual Gentoo users can use package.provided to avoid
13 > having to install some of the new packages if they only use individual
14 > kde apps, but they do so in the knowledge that they are short-circuiting
15 > a dependency mechanism and may be causing breakage to their own setup.
16 > (One such example is amarok, which now requires certain kdebase-runtime
17 > functionality for its lastfm support.  Apparently, that functionality was
18 > broken for some users that used it, who filed bugs, with this being the
19 > resolution.)
20
21 Hi Duncan,
22
23 actually, I had already read it before I wrote the original posting. I
24 just didn't realise that I could 'safely' unmask the package (because
25 I already had chosen to run the unstable KDE4.3 release).
26
27 I like the concept of Gentoo, the power it gives to me, the safe
28 bleeding-edge apps and the ease in which I can run my own custom build
29 kernel. But on the other hand: I just need a working desktop and in
30 98% of the cases I don't want to dive into all the details to get
31 things working. This seems to be a contradiction, I should have been
32 an Ubuntu user, but that's not true :-D Now and then I apply some
33 custom USE-flags, but I stick to the default install as much as I can
34 so I'm not the one to discover bugs.
35
36 Regards,
37