From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 00:26:11
1 On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:04:32 -0500
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > You don't *have* to use systemd; but if you *want* something
6 > different, then you *should* contribute to the alternatives. Otherwise
7 > people (starting with me, for what it matters) will start ignoring
8 > you. "Oh, another one that critiques systemd without contributing to
9 > any alternative. Most likely, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
10 > Next."
13 I appreciate your insights but let me just briefly once again
14 state my concerns as they may have been missed.
15
16 I do not use openrc, eudev, or anything similar, and I have no plans
17 to ever use systemd. All of these things are *unnecessary* at present.
18 I simply do not need them and do not foresee a time where I will
19 ever need them. In spite of any purported technical superiority they
20 still remain *optional*.
21
22 My system is booted and configured using my own custom scripts and
23 I doubt that anyone would be interested in those. They work very well
24 for me and as a consequence I have no interest in contributing to
25 alternatives that I'll never utilize. (In fact, I would encourage
26 everyone to develop his own set of boot/config routines. It is
27 not that difficult.)
28
29 The concern is that one day this will no longer be possible due to
30 the hegemony imposed by players such as those already mentioned.
31 I believe that this concern is a valid one. It will not happen
32 overnight but these changes will slowly creep into the Linux
33 universe.
34
35 My reasons are selfish. For me (and I'm sure for many, many others
36 who just are not aware) implementing these methods are way too much
37 work and will bring *no* improvements or benefits whatsoever.
38
39 If others need them then others will use them. But do not destroy
40 the ability to forge my own solutions.