From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:04:55
1 On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 [ snip ]
3 > Check out page 18 of the 2014 GNOME Asia talk:
4 > http://0pointer.de/public/gnomeasia2014.pdf
5 >
6 > "Our objectives:
7 >
8 > Turing Linux from a bag of bits into a competitive General Purpose
9 > Operating System.
10 >
11 > Building the Internet's Next Generation OS.
12 >
13 > Unifying pointless differences between distributions."
14 >
15 > Can it be any clearer that the Gnome (RedHat) folks desire to
16 > usurp total control of the Linux ecosystem to serve their own
17 > ends? RedHat needs Linux to make a profit and it will mold
18 > Linux to better attain this end.
19
20 Whoa. How did you jumped from "Turing Linux from a bag of bits into a
21 competitive General Purpose Operating System" to "usurp total control
22 of the Linux ecosystem to serve their own ends"? There is literally no
23 way you can start from the first and logically arrive to the second.
24
25 With Free Software you *cannot* usurp *anything*. The code is free and
26 is out there. Any large group of sufficiently talented developers can
27 take that code and do *anything* with it. Why it hasn't happened I
28 explain down below, but let me be very clear: that kind of talking is
29 nonsense.
30
31 > Is Linux currently just a "bag of bits." A lot of people
32 > would take serious issue with this inane comment, but according
33 > to the Gnome (RedHat) folks they are here to save us all
34 > from the terrible shortcomings of Linux (whether we want it or
35 > not).
36
37 Linux *is* a bag of bits, meaning a lot of loose coupled components;
38 that's why when a third party developer wants to build something for
39 Linux they end up creating a whole distribution (SteamOS), or bundling
40 everything and the kitchen sink (Google Chrome). It is not demeaning,
41 is a statement of fact.
42
43 > Notice the remark about the "pointless differences between
44 > distributions." This is nothing more than a disguised condemnation
45 > of the diversity, variety, and choice which has always been the
46 > strongest feature of the Linux world.
47
48 That diversity, variety, and choice is very well, but *someone* (in
49 fact, many "someones") needs to work maintaining that diversity,
50 variety, and choice. If there is a single tool that solves the
51 problems of many developers, they *will* rely on that tool, and stop
52 supporting any inferior/less featureful tool. You would like to keep
53 using the less featureful tool? Then help the developers of different
54 projects to keep using it.
55
56 > Now check out page 5:
57 >
58 > "What's systemd again? ... The glue between the applications and
59 > the kernel."
60 >
61 > IOW, the kernel and the applications, once sufficient in themselves,
62 > will now require the product that they (RedHat/Gnome) make and control
63 > in order to function at all. Don't like it? Tough. Try and find a
64 > distribution without it, and good luck re-writing all this stuff from
65 > scratch all by your lonesome.
66
67 As I stated in my previous mail to you, you are spreading FUD. GNOME,
68 systemd, *and* the kernel have developers from many companies and
69 projects. There is no Illuminati inside RedHat deciding the future of
70 no one but that company itself.
71
72 That's first of all; second of all, Gentoo doesn't require systemd.
73 You want to keep it that way? Help OpenRC, and eudev, and all the
74 alternative projects that don't want to rely on systemd. If you (and
75 all the others that don't want to use systemd) don't, then (I repeat)
76 don't act surprised when systemd is the only option in Linux.
77
78 > But why stop here? All they need to do is get rid of Linus Torvalds
79 > himself. After all, he's just a nuisance from a previous and obsolescent
80 > generation. Let's have the truly progressive folks, like RedHat/Gnome,
81 > assume command of it all.
82
83 Actually, Linus seems to be OK with systemd[1]. It's probably not his
84 favorite project, but in that interview it ends up giving many of the
85 best pro-systemd arguments I've heard.
86
87 If you want to believe (or fabricate) conspiracy theories, that's
88 fine; I (and most Linux users) don't care about that. We care about
89 Linux and technological sound solutions and arguments. And that's the
90 crux of the matter: as I have previously stated, *any* large group of
91 talented developers can take the free software in all the Linux stack
92 (from kernel to userspace), and do *whatever* the hell they want with
93 it, as long as they continue to return the modified code to the
94 community. That's how Free Software works; that's *exactly* what
95 Google has done with Android.
96
97 Then why the alternatives are not attracting *huge* amount of
98 developers? Why uselessd is one guy, and OpenRC three or four, and
99 udev has a handful of developers trying to keep up with systemd-udev?
100
101 Some people will tell you that it's because of RedHat's money. And
102 that is so obviously wrong that is even laughable. In the kernel,
103 systemd, and all the other parts of the stack (including GNOME) there
104 are *many* companies involved. And not only small companies like
105 Collabora and Igalia; but *HUGE* ones like IBM and Intel. Why would
106 those companies let another one (RedHat) take "control" of Linux?
107
108 They don't. They *support* the idea of systemd, because (pardon me for
109 raising my voice) IS TECHNOLOGICALLY BETTER.
110
111 And that's what most systemd-haters don't understand. They scream and
112 throw tantrums about systemd, while most developers (the people that
113 *actually* gives us Linux, the whole stack) quietly check out the
114 benefits and downsides of using systemd, and in a large majority
115 decide that the right thing to do is using it.
116
117 That's why Arch, Suse, Gentoo-based Sabayon, Debian and even *Ubuntu*
118 switched (or are about to switch) to systemd. Why would Canonical
119 start using systemd in its distribution if it would help its rival,
120 RedHat, to take "control"? They would not; they switched because a
121 large majority of developers agree that systemd is the superior
122 option.
123
124 Rich Freeman (Gentoo developer, member of the Council) said better than I[2]:
125
126 "The argument about whether systemd is better/worse than sysvinit was
127 a debate back in 2012-2013. Just about anybody actually contributing
128 to distros has moved on since then. That doesn't mean that there is
129 100% agreement on anything, just that at this point it seems unlikely
130 that things are going to change much either way on that front. A few
131 distros are likely to avoid systemd, and the vast majority are in the
132 process of adopting it.
133
134 "With Gentoo you can run whatever you want for PID 1, just as you can
135 use whatever bootloader, kernel, syslog, etc you want. Not all the
136 init options have equal support - upstart isn't even in the tree and
137 few packages supply scripts for runit. But, nobody is going to get in
138 anybody's way if they want to introduce upstart, etc.
139
140 "The fact is among those actually contributing to projects like
141 openrc, udev, eudev, and systemd everybody tends to get along just
142 fine. There is plenty of interest in finding common ground and
143 collaborating so that anybody switching from one to another can do so
144 easily, and so that these projects don't diverge where it isn't
145 intended. It seems like the heaviest fighting seems to involve folks
146 who don't contribute to any of these."
147
148 I will repeat the last sentence:
149
150 "It seems like the heaviest fighting seems to involve folks who don't
151 contribute to any of these."
152
153 You don't *have* to use systemd; but if you *want* something
154 different, then you *should* contribute to the alternatives. Otherwise
155 people (starting with me, for what it matters) will start ignoring
156 you. "Oh, another one that critiques systemd without contributing to
157 any alternative. Most likely, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
158 Next."
159
160 Regards.
161
162 [1] http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/65402-torvalds-says-he-has-no-strong-opinions-on-systemd
163 [2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/277512
164 --
165 Canek Peláez Valdés
166 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias