From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:13:11
1 On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:22:38 -0500
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Barry Schwartz
5 > <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > > The words ‘Red Hat’ have put a chill down my spine for nearly 20
7 > > years.
8 >
9 > I know, right? A company that actually pays money to developers so
10 > they could work on Free Software.
13 Check out page 18 of the 2014 GNOME Asia talk:
14 http://0pointer.de/public/gnomeasia2014.pdf
15
16 "Our objectives:
17
18 Turing Linux from a bag of bits into a competitive General Purpose
19 Operating System.
20
21 Building the Internet's Next Generation OS.
22
23 Unifying pointless differences between distributions."
24
25 Can it be any clearer that the Gnome (RedHat) folks desire to
26 usurp total control of the Linux ecosystem to serve their own
27 ends? RedHat needs Linux to make a profit and it will mold
28 Linux to better attain this end.
29
30 Is Linux currently just a "bag of bits." A lot of people
31 would take serious issue with this inane comment, but according
32 to the Gnome (RedHat) folks they are here to save us all
33 from the terrible shortcomings of Linux (whether we want it or
34 not).
35
36 Notice the remark about the "pointless differences between
37 distributions." This is nothing more than a disguised condemnation
38 of the diversity, variety, and choice which has always been the
39 strongest feature of the Linux world.
40
41 Now check out page 5:
42
43 "What's systemd again? ... The glue between the applications and
44 the kernel."
45
46 IOW, the kernel and the applications, once sufficient in themselves,
47 will now require the product that they (RedHat/Gnome) make and control
48 in order to function at all. Don't like it? Tough. Try and find a
49 distribution without it, and good luck re-writing all this stuff from
50 scratch all by your lonesome.
51
52 But why stop here? All they need to do is get rid of Linus Torvalds
53 himself. After all, he's just a nuisance from a previous and obsolescent
54 generation. Let's have the truly progressive folks, like RedHat/Gnome,
55 assume command of it all.