From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:12:09
1 On 22 September 2014 07:13, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:22:38 -0500
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Barry Schwartz
6 >> <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
7 >> > The words ‘Red Hat’ have put a chill down my spine for nearly 20
8 >> > years.
9 >>
10 >> I know, right? A company that actually pays money to developers so
11 >> they could work on Free Software.
14 > Check out page 18 of the 2014 GNOME Asia talk:
15 > http://0pointer.de/public/gnomeasia2014.pdf
16 >
17 > "Our objectives:
18 >
19 > Turing Linux from a bag of bits into a competitive General Purpose
20 > Operating System.
21 >
22 > Building the Internet's Next Generation OS.
23 >
24 > Unifying pointless differences between distributions."
25 >
26 > Can it be any clearer that the Gnome (RedHat) folks desire to
27 > usurp total control of the Linux ecosystem to serve their own
28 > ends? RedHat needs Linux to make a profit and it will mold
29 > Linux to better attain this end.
30 >
31 > Is Linux currently just a "bag of bits." A lot of people
32 > would take serious issue with this inane comment, but according
33 > to the Gnome (RedHat) folks they are here to save us all
34 > from the terrible shortcomings of Linux (whether we want it or
35 > not).
36 >
37 > Notice the remark about the "pointless differences between
38 > distributions." This is nothing more than a disguised condemnation
39 > of the diversity, variety, and choice which has always been the
40 > strongest feature of the Linux world.
41
42 Let's make ten different electric sockets, twenty different way to
43 calculate version number for softwares, thirty software licenses, and
44 don't forget to make at least five mutually-incompatible APIs for
45 every browser features that all do roughly the same thing differently.
46 Oh, and everyone had to write their dates in Month-Year-Day, period.
47 Is your life any better from having this kind of "diversity"?
48
49 Encouraging pointless differences is not supporting diversity. In
50 contrary, encouraging pointless differences *kills* diversity.
51 Diversity is a mean to the end of producing better software system, it
52 isn't an end of itself. If having less diversity means that I can take
53 my software, bring it to another totally different system, and it
54 works just as well as it was, then so be it.