From: Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:15:19
1 On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
5 > wrote:
6 > [ snip ]
7 > > Check out page 18 of the 2014 GNOME Asia talk:
8 > > http://0pointer.de/public/gnomeasia2014.pdf
9 > >
10 > > "Our objectives:
11 > >
12 > > Turing Linux from a bag of bits into a competitive General Purpose
13 > > Operating System.
14 > >
15 > > Building the Internet's Next Generation OS.
16 > >
17 > > Unifying pointless differences between distributions."
18 > >
19 > > Can it be any clearer that the Gnome (RedHat) folks desire to
20 > > usurp total control of the Linux ecosystem to serve their own
21 > > ends? RedHat needs Linux to make a profit and it will mold
22 > > Linux to better attain this end.
23 >
24 > Whoa. How did you jumped from "Turing Linux from a bag of bits into a
25 > competitive General Purpose Operating System" to "usurp total control
26 > of the Linux ecosystem to serve their own ends"? There is literally no
27 > way you can start from the first and logically arrive to the second.
30 Actually, it seems like a pretty clear synonymous interpretation to me.
31 Also, I think you are using "literally" wrong in this context, as Frank
32 clearly "literally" just did so.
36 > With Free Software you *cannot* usurp *anything*. The code is free and
37 > is out there. Any large group of sufficiently talented developers can
38 > take that code and do *anything* with it. Why it hasn't happened I
39 > explain down below, but let me be very clear: that kind of talking is
40 > nonsense.
41 >
42 > > Is Linux currently just a "bag of bits." A lot of people
43 > > would take serious issue with this inane comment, but according
44 > > to the Gnome (RedHat) folks they are here to save us all
45 > > from the terrible shortcomings of Linux (whether we want it or
46 > > not).
47 >
48 > Linux *is* a bag of bits, meaning a lot of loose coupled components;
49 > that's why when a third party developer wants to build something for
50 > Linux they end up creating a whole distribution (SteamOS), or bundling
51 > everything and the kitchen sink (Google Chrome). It is not demeaning,
52 > is a statement of fact.
55 SteamOS and Google Chrome are both created by companies that want to have
56 THEIR pieces of top-down control over YOUR computer. They may have
57 legitimate (read: "Intellectual Property") reasons for doing so, but that
58 *is* nevertheless their goal, so if you're okay with ceding control to
59 these for-profit corporations, and paying in tangibles and intangibles to
60 do so, then fine. If not, do not use their products.
63 > > Notice the remark about the "pointless differences between
64 > > distributions." This is nothing more than a disguised condemnation
65 > > of the diversity, variety, and choice which has always been the
66 > > strongest feature of the Linux world.
67 >
68 > That diversity, variety, and choice is very well, but *someone* (in
69 > fact, many "someones") needs to work maintaining that diversity,
70 > variety, and choice. If there is a single tool that solves the
71 > problems of many developers, they *will* rely on that tool, and stop
72 > supporting any inferior/less featureful tool. You would like to keep
73 > using the less featureful tool? Then help the developers of different
74 > projects to keep using it.
75 >
76 > > Now check out page 5:
77 > >
78 > > "What's systemd again? ... The glue between the applications and
79 > > the kernel."
80 > >
81 > > IOW, the kernel and the applications, once sufficient in themselves,
82 > > will now require the product that they (RedHat/Gnome) make and control
83 > > in order to function at all. Don't like it? Tough. Try and find a
84 > > distribution without it, and good luck re-writing all this stuff from
85 > > scratch all by your lonesome.
86 >
87 > As I stated in my previous mail to you, you are spreading FUD. GNOME,
88 > systemd, *and* the kernel have developers from many companies and
89 > projects. There is no Illuminati inside RedHat deciding the future of
90 > no one but that company itself.
91 >
92 > That's first of all; second of all, Gentoo doesn't require systemd.
93 > You want to keep it that way? Help OpenRC, and eudev, and all the
94 > alternative projects that don't want to rely on systemd. If you (and
95 > all the others that don't want to use systemd) don't, then (I repeat)
96 > don't act surprised when systemd is the only option in Linux.
97 >
98 > > But why stop here? All they need to do is get rid of Linus Torvalds
99 > > himself. After all, he's just a nuisance from a previous and obsolescent
100 > > generation. Let's have the truly progressive folks, like RedHat/Gnome,
101 > > assume command of it all.
102 >
103 > Actually, Linus seems to be OK with systemd[1]. It's probably not his
104 > favorite project, but in that interview it ends up giving many of the
105 > best pro-systemd arguments I've heard.
106 >
107 > If you want to believe (or fabricate) conspiracy theories, that's
108 > fine; I (and most Linux users) don't care about that. We care about
109 > Linux and technological sound solutions and arguments. And that's the
110 > crux of the matter: as I have previously stated, *any* large group of
111 > talented developers can take the free software in all the Linux stack
112 > (from kernel to userspace), and do *whatever* the hell they want with
113 > it, as long as they continue to return the modified code to the
114 > community. That's how Free Software works; that's *exactly* what
115 > Google has done with Android.
116 >
117 > Then why the alternatives are not attracting *huge* amount of
118 > developers? Why uselessd is one guy, and OpenRC three or four, and
119 > udev has a handful of developers trying to keep up with systemd-udev?
120 >
121 > Some people will tell you that it's because of RedHat's money. And
122 > that is so obviously wrong that is even laughable. In the kernel,
123 > systemd, and all the other parts of the stack (including GNOME) there
124 > are *many* companies involved. And not only small companies like
125 > Collabora and Igalia; but *HUGE* ones like IBM and Intel. Why would
126 > those companies let another one (RedHat) take "control" of Linux?
127 >
128 > They don't. They *support* the idea of systemd, because (pardon me for
129 > raising my voice) IS TECHNOLOGICALLY BETTER.
130 >
131 > And that's what most systemd-haters don't understand. They scream and
132 > throw tantrums about systemd, while most developers (the people that
133 > *actually* gives us Linux, the whole stack) quietly check out the
134 > benefits and downsides of using systemd, and in a large majority
135 > decide that the right thing to do is using it.
136 >
137 > That's why Arch, Suse, Gentoo-based Sabayon, Debian and even *Ubuntu*
138 > switched (or are about to switch) to systemd. Why would Canonical
139 > start using systemd in its distribution if it would help its rival,
140 > RedHat, to take "control"? They would not; they switched because a
141 > large majority of developers agree that systemd is the superior
142 > option.
143 >
144 > Rich Freeman (Gentoo developer, member of the Council) said better than
145 > I[2]:
146 >
147 > "The argument about whether systemd is better/worse than sysvinit was
148 > a debate back in 2012-2013. Just about anybody actually contributing
149 > to distros has moved on since then. That doesn't mean that there is
150 > 100% agreement on anything, just that at this point it seems unlikely
151 > that things are going to change much either way on that front. A few
152 > distros are likely to avoid systemd, and the vast majority are in the
153 > process of adopting it.
154 >
155 > "With Gentoo you can run whatever you want for PID 1, just as you can
156 > use whatever bootloader, kernel, syslog, etc you want. Not all the
157 > init options have equal support - upstart isn't even in the tree and
158 > few packages supply scripts for runit. But, nobody is going to get in
159 > anybody's way if they want to introduce upstart, etc.
160 >
161 > "The fact is among those actually contributing to projects like
162 > openrc, udev, eudev, and systemd everybody tends to get along just
163 > fine. There is plenty of interest in finding common ground and
164 > collaborating so that anybody switching from one to another can do so
165 > easily, and so that these projects don't diverge where it isn't
166 > intended. It seems like the heaviest fighting seems to involve folks
167 > who don't contribute to any of these."
168 >
169 > I will repeat the last sentence:
170 >
171 > "It seems like the heaviest fighting seems to involve folks who don't
172 > contribute to any of these."
173 >
174 > You don't *have* to use systemd; but if you *want* something
175 > different, then you *should* contribute to the alternatives. Otherwise
176 > people (starting with me, for what it matters) will start ignoring
177 > you. "Oh, another one that critiques systemd without contributing to
178 > any alternative. Most likely, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
179 > Next."
180 >
181 > Regards.
182 >
183 > [1]
184 > http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/65402-torvalds-says-he-has-no-strong-opinions-on-systemd
185 > [2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/277512
186 > --
187 > Canek Peláez Valdés
188 > Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
189 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México