From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:29:14
1 On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > Actually, it seems like a pretty clear synonymous interpretation to me.
4
5 I just happen to disagree.
6
7 > Also, I think you are using "literally" wrong in this context, as Frank
8 > clearly "literally" just did so.
9
10 Sorry; I'm not an English native speaker.
11
12 [snip]
13 > SteamOS and Google Chrome are both created by companies that want to have
14 > THEIR pieces of top-down control over YOUR computer. They may have
15 > legitimate (read: "Intellectual Property") reasons for doing so, but that
16 > *is* nevertheless their goal, so if you're okay with ceding control to these
17 > for-profit corporations, and paying in tangibles and intangibles to do so,
18 > then fine. If not, do not use their products.
19
20 That's your choice, and I respect that. But apart from the fact that I
21 would like to easily install whatever software I want in my computer,
22 is not only for-profit companies that want to do that; for any free
23 software program I wrote, if I want it available for all Linux users,
24 either I find a way to create packages/ebuilds for each distribution,
25 or I find someone that can do it for me.
26
27 Or even simpler than that: If I wrote a daemon, with SysV I could not
28 reliable write an script to starting it and stopping it in *all*
29 distributions. With systemd that actually works.
30
31 The old way doesn't scale.
32
33 Regards.
34 --
35 Canek Peláez Valdés
36 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias