From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 05:27:40
1 Canek Peláez Valdés posted on Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:28:48 -0500 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > Or even simpler than that: If I wrote a daemon, with SysV I could not
5 > reliable write an script to starting it and stopping it in *all*
6 > distributions. With systemd that actually works.
7
8 IMO this the the big reason why upstreams are supporting systemd; it's a
9 small, often trivial, file, with a lot of bang for the buck. Ship any
10 other initscript and you cover a single distro. Ship a systemd unit file
11 or two and you cover a half-dozen rather major unrelated distros and
12 growing, along with most of their derivatives. Sure it's an upstream
13 reference file that individual distros can and reasonably often do
14 modify, but it's a reference file virtually guaranteed to work as-is on
15 nearly all those distributions, and you just can't get that elsewhere,
16 full-stop.
19 Meanwhile, for me as a gentoo user one of the biggest benefits of systemd
20 is that once it's the general standard pretty much everywhere I won't
21 have the problem of having to learn something different to maintain for
22 instance my openwrt-based router, as it'll be the same general init-
23 system on my main systems and on my router. My biggest problem with the
24 router right now is that it's not using an init system I'm familiar with,
25 and having once gone thru everything and understood how it worked well
26 enough to be comfortable working with the configuration, and then having
27 configured it, I promptly forgot all that stuff once I got it working and
28 had no need to screw with it any longer. Now it's seriously outdated,
29 but I don't want to deal with updating it and having to go thru all that
30 stuff to learn its special-purpose init setup once again, just to get it
31 working and be able to forget about it again.
32
33 I'm *REALLY* looking forward to the day when it's all standardized on
34 systemd and I can put the same systemd knowledge I use while maintaining
35 my general systems to work when I update openrc as well, and other than
36 the few unique unit-files, I'll "just understand it" and not have to
37 worry about relearning all that every time I decide it's time to upgrade
38 the router again.
39
40 Of course the same thing applies if I decide to make a job out of my
41 currently and long-term hobby of Linux. Gentoo's openrc is certainly
42 rather niche knowledge and won't help me much with the statistically more
43 likely chance that my potential employer has standardized on
44 centos/sle[ds]/ubuntu-server/debian/whatever. But my gentoo systemd
45 knowledge will "just transfer", being as useful on any of them once
46 everybody's switched, as on gentoo.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman