From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Identifying CPUs in the kernel
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:07:34
1 On Saturday 23 June 2007 10:52, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Let me know how this goes [...] as I'd like to follow it too.
4
5 Well, after quite a bit more work, I'm still none the wiser. I've built a
6 new installation from scratch without the ~amd64 key word, and I've tried
7 many combinations of kernel parameters. Once or twice I thought I'd found
8 it: for instance, it seemed that removing I2C completely caused the faulty
9 behaviour to appear, but then putting it back in didn't correct it.
10
11 The new system is as independent of the original as possible. The old one
12 was on /dev/hd[a,b] and the new is on /dev/sda, which is a SATA disk. I've
13 changed the BIOS to boot from SATA first, though I couldn't hide the old
14 disks completely - the IDE optical disks /dev/hd[c,d] were then hidden as
15 well.
16
17 I started with a genkernel kernel, remembering to enable SATA in it
18 first ;-) , then switched to compiling manually, progressively stripping
19 out all the extraneous modules and inbuilt features until I had a
20 reasonably well tuned kernel. it works just fine.
21
22 I also reverted the BIOS to an optimised set of defaults and changed one
23 thing at a time to reach (what I think is) the optimum for me. The system
24 is working as it should. Soon I'll erase the old partitions - when I'm sure
25 I don't need anything else off them.
26
27 So I can't put a case together to raise a bug report, and I'll have to
28 accept just-one-of-those-things.
31 Rgds
32 Peter.
33 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93