From: Kyle Liddell <kyle@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OT: CPU Temperature
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:58:48
1 On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 07:27 +1300, Jamie Dobbs wrote:
2 > Motherboard sensors indicate that the CPU core is running at a constant
3 > 65 degrees Celcius and this figure does not change more than a degree
4 > no matter what is being done, it only increased to 66 degrees C while
5 > doing a compile of xorg, kde and gnome which took a few hours.
6 >
7 > Should I be worried about these figures? The heatsink feels only
8 > slightly warm to the touch and I am sure it is seated correctly so I
9 > wonder if the BIOS is reporting the right temperatures. Does anyone have
10 > the same board that can help me out here?
11
12 Are you using any sort of frequency scaling? On my socket 939 3500+,
13 when the CPU is running at full speed it stays around that temperature
14 range, and doesn't really increase much when compiling either. The
15 other temp sensor stays around 35-38C.
16
17 You might look into cpu frequency scaling using the ondemand governor.
18 I use that here, and right now with my CPU running at 1GHz the temp is
19 floating right 38C (and if I open the windows at night it drops to
20 35ish), and the other sensor is reporting 31C.
21
22 I'm using a Soltek K8T939 or some such (VIA based), by the way.
25 Kyle
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list