From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: how to best run a script at boot
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:33:20
1 Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> posted
2 20070715103658.3A50E9521D@×××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Sun, 15
3 Jul 2007 13:36:57 +0300:
4
5 > AFAIK the places intended for that purpose are "/etc/conf.d/local.start"
6 > and "/etc/conf.d/local.stop" for starting and stopping custom programs
7 > at boot and shut down time respectively. So, you may want to put that
8 > line in "/etc/conf.d/local.start"
9
10 I'll third the idea. I've been using local.start to run a couple scripts
11 of my own for some time. It "just works" as they say. Just add the
12 "local" service to your default or whatever runlevel, and it'll start and
13 stop anything you add to the conf.d local.st(art|op), without having to
14 setup a whole fancy service.
15
16 The only caveat is that local is the last thing started and the first
17 thing stopped, so if you need something started earlier or stopped later,
18 you have to change things a bit. I'd still recommend starting with the
19 local service, however, and going from there, since it's tested, and
20 future changes will be done with it in mind, so it's less likely to break
21 with future updates than something you create entirely on your own.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list