From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] how to best run a script at boot
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:39:28
1 On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:15:30 +0200
2 Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I find myself again needing to run a few things on Winblow, so I
7 > reinstalled my "old" vmware (I have a workstation 5 license).
8 > My problem is that while everything installed well, on the next start
9 > I had no network more. I've found out that
10 > running /usr/lib/vmware/net-services.sh creates the
11 > missing /dev/vmnet0, so now I'd like that script to be run every
12 > start. On one list, someone suggested adding the script to /etc/rc.d
13 > and then running "rc-update add <script> default". I've done that
14 > during Gentoo install, but I was wondering if it was a good idea to
15 > add a "non system" script to default.
16 >
17 > Thierry
20 AFAIK the places intended for that purpose are "/etc/conf.d/local.start"
21 and "/etc/conf.d/local.stop" for starting and stopping custom programs
22 at boot and shut down time respectively. So, you may want to put that
23 line in "/etc/conf.d/local.start"
28 Best regards,
29 Daniel
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list