From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Encryption Solution
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:37:08
1 On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi List,
3 >
4 > Doesn't really belong here, but security seems dead, so...
5 >
6 > I'm planning on encrypting a 1TB usb-disc that I have, for
7 > preserved storage.
8 > I've been reading a lot about fde and the other various
9 > approaches towards encryption, and most of them do much more than I
10 > really need/want. I don't need plausible deniability, and I don't need
11 > a fully encrypted OS.
12 > I do however have certain usage scenarios, for my setup.
13 >
14 > As mentioned above, the disk I want encrypted is a usb device, so it's
15 > removable.
16 > This among other things requires the encryption method to be usable
17 > from multiple machines but also from multiple OSes (Windows and Linux).
18 >
19 > Now from what I've been reading, there are basically two ways of doing
20 > this. TrueCrypt and dm-crypt together with freeotfe on windows.
21 >
22 > The main issue is obviously the filesystem.
23 > As far as I understand it, both methods work 'atop' any filesystem that
24 > the underlying OS supports.
25 > Because I want both windows and linux support, this would mean vfat,
26 > ntfs, or ext2(3,4??).
27 >
28 > Now as I run x86_64 for both linux and windows I'm not to sure about
29 > all this.
30 > I have a working ext driver running in read-only mode under windows,
31 > but I wouldn't know how well it'll play when using encryption.
32 > There are two possibilities I know of, http://www.fs-driver.org/ and
33 > http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/index.htm, me using the latter due to
34 > problems I had with the first due to 64bit compatibility.
35 > Another mayor question is dataloss.
36 > The usb-disc has 1TB, would it make sense to maybe have more than one
37 > partition, both from a performance and reliability standpoint?
38 >
39 > Has anyone here a similar setup/usage of disc-encryption?
40 > Any thoughts on the matter?
41
42 I've never tried it (as others, i only use my encrypted disk on linux)
43 but check out http://www.freeotfe.org/
44
45 It's a windows driver which includes in its features:
46
47 Linux compatibility (Cryptoloop "losetup", dm-crypt and LUKS supported)