From: Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Encryption Solution
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 18:28:59
1 Hi List,
2
3 Doesn't really belong here, but security seems dead, so...
4
5 I'm planning on encrypting a 1TB usb-disc that I have, for
6 preserved storage.
7 I've been reading a lot about fde and the other various
8 approaches towards encryption, and most of them do much more than I
9 really need/want. I don't need plausible deniability, and I don't need
10 a fully encrypted OS.
11 I do however have certain usage scenarios, for my setup.
12
13 As mentioned above, the disk I want encrypted is a usb device, so it's
14 removable.
15 This among other things requires the encryption method to be usable
16 from multiple machines but also from multiple OSes (Windows and Linux).
17
18 Now from what I've been reading, there are basically two ways of doing
19 this. TrueCrypt and dm-crypt together with freeotfe on windows.
20
21 The main issue is obviously the filesystem.
22 As far as I understand it, both methods work 'atop' any filesystem that
23 the underlying OS supports.
24 Because I want both windows and linux support, this would mean vfat,
25 ntfs, or ext2(3,4??).
26
27 Now as I run x86_64 for both linux and windows I'm not to sure about
28 all this.
29 I have a working ext driver running in read-only mode under windows,
30 but I wouldn't know how well it'll play when using encryption.
31 There are two possibilities I know of, http://www.fs-driver.org/ and
32 http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/index.htm, me using the latter due to
33 problems I had with the first due to 64bit compatibility.
34 Another mayor question is dataloss.
35 The usb-disc has 1TB, would it make sense to maybe have more than one
36 partition, both from a performance and reliability standpoint?
37
38 Has anyone here a similar setup/usage of disc-encryption?
39 Any thoughts on the matter?
40
41 Tom