From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Encryption Solution
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:14:40
1 Tom schrieb:
2 > Hi List,
3 >
4 > Doesn't really belong here, but security seems dead, so...
5 [...]
6 > As mentioned above, the disk I want encrypted is a usb device, so it's
7 > removable.
8 > This among other things requires the encryption method to be usable
9 > from multiple machines but also from multiple OSes (Windows and Linux).
10 >
11 > Now from what I've been reading, there are basically two ways of doing
12 > this. TrueCrypt and dm-crypt together with freeotfe on windows.
15 I can't tell you anything about dmcrypt on Windows or Truecrypt. All I
16 use is dmcrypt (LUKS) on Linux which works out of the box these days (at
17 least on all major Linux desktop environments)
18
19 > The main issue is obviously the filesystem.
20 > As far as I understand it, both methods work 'atop' any filesystem that
21 > the underlying OS supports.
22 > Because I want both windows and linux support, this would mean vfat,
23 > ntfs, or ext2(3,4??).
24
25 Last time I checked, ext2 didn't work with Truecrypt on Windows due to a
26 bug. If you use another solution (or the problem is fixed), I'd
27 recommend ext3 or ext4 without extents (so it can still be mounted as
28 ext2 by the Windows driver).
29
30 I would use NTFS. I dislike using non-journalling filesystems like FAT
31 or ext2 on such big disks. However, using the fuse implementation under
32 Linux causes a rather high CPU utilization. Together with the encryption
33 it could slow down less beefy systems.
36 [...]
37 > Another mayor question is dataloss.
38
39 Well, saving all data on a single disk is always risky. That's why
40 clever folks invented backups and redundancy ;)
41
42 > The usb-disc has 1TB, would it make sense to maybe have more than one
43 > partition, both from a performance and reliability standpoint?
44
45 I don't think that there would be any performance benefits. Reliability
46 would increase if you don't always mount all partitions, however, you
47 would also need to type your password again for every partition which
48 could become annoying.
49
50 If you stick with FAT32, keep in mind that Windows 2k, XP and Vista
51 can't create FAT32-partitions of more than 128GB size. However, they can
52 still mount 2TB partitions created with linux or third-party tools.
53
54 Hope this helps.