From: Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Encryption Solution
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 00:13:10
1 Thanks for your answer!
2
3 >Last time I checked, ext2 didn't work with Truecrypt on Windows due to
4 >a bug. If you use another solution (or the problem is fixed), I'd
5 >recommend ext3 or ext4 without extents (so it can still be mounted as
6 >ext2 by the Windows driver).
7 >I would use NTFS. I dislike using non-journalling filesystems like FAT
8 >or ext2 on such big disks. However, using the fuse implementation
9 >under Linux causes a rather high CPU utilization. Together with the
10 >encryption it could slow down less beefy systems.
11
12 Fat is really out of the question, I just listed it for completeness.
13 Regarding NTFS, the performance overhead was exactly the reason I was
14 thinking of rather sticking to a ext based filesystem.
15 I've considered only writing to the disk from within a
16 linux-environment and only mounting it readonly (as ext2) from within
17 windows, but as you mentioned, using a non-journalling fileystem is an
18 obvious risk. However, does this still apply when its in readonly-mode?
19
20 >Well, saving all data on a single disk is always risky.
21
22 Quite true, I wouldn't keep the data there forever without eventually
23 backing the stuff up. Its just I want to 'store away' things that have
24 no reason for just 'being' on my normal hdd in a secure manner & be
25 able to transport them, if I have to.
26
27 Tom