From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Encryption Solution
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 07:03:16
1 Tom schrieb:
2 > Thanks for your answer!
3 >
4 >> Last time I checked, ext2 didn't work with Truecrypt on Windows due to
5 >> a bug. If you use another solution (or the problem is fixed), I'd
6 >> recommend ext3 or ext4 without extents (so it can still be mounted as
7 >> ext2 by the Windows driver).
8 >> I would use NTFS. I dislike using non-journalling filesystems like FAT
9 >> or ext2 on such big disks. However, using the fuse implementation
10 >> under Linux causes a rather high CPU utilization. Together with the
11 >> encryption it could slow down less beefy systems.
12 >
13 > Fat is really out of the question, I just listed it for completeness.
14 > Regarding NTFS, the performance overhead was exactly the reason I was
15 > thinking of rather sticking to a ext based filesystem.
16
17 I would simply test it. Most likely, USB will be the bottle neck, not
18 CPU time.
19
20 > I've considered only writing to the disk from within a
21 > linux-environment and only mounting it readonly (as ext2) from within
22 > windows, but as you mentioned, using a non-journalling fileystem is an
23 > obvious risk. However, does this still apply when its in readonly-mode?
24
25 No write-action, no need for a journal.
26
27 By the way: On my external hard disk I have made two partitions: 20GB
28 NTFS for exchanging data with Windows hosts and the rest (230GB)
29 encrypted (LUKS) ext3. It works great, but only because I seldom need
30 the NTFS-partition.