From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kdebase-3.80.1
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:52:42
1 On 8/20/06, Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de> wrote:
2 > I just thouht about testing the new KDE, but I have not yet made the decision,
3 > how I am going to test it.
4
5 For something as unstable as KDE4 is likely to be, I would probably
6 just checkout the sources and build it outside of portage. As long as
7 you set the prefix to something reasonable (/usr/local/kde4,fex), you
8 should not end up with a lot of extra cruft installed, or impacting
9 your existing KDE installation.
10
11 > But because KDE 3.80.1 is marked unstable,
12
13 ??? No such version exists in portage.
14
15 > Can one guess how long it will take until (hard masked) ebuilds for KDE 4 are
16 > made?
17
18 KDE just released the first developer snapshot of KDE4 and the
19 announcement [1] makes it clear that there isn't much for end-users to
20 see or test yet. Generally the ebuilds for new KDE versions show up
21 shortly after the first alpha release, and the KDE devs haven't given
22 any dates for the first alpha, first beta, or final releases [2]. So
23 I would keep an eye on [2] to see when there might be something useful
24 to test.
25
26 -Richard
27