From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kdebase-3.80.1
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 19:58:02
1 "Richard Fish" <bigfish@××××××××××.org> posted
2 7573e9640608201150m3dd4d1b9md6dabdf3fe5683fd@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:50:36 -0700:
4
5 > KDE just released the first developer snapshot of KDE4 and the
6 > announcement [1] makes it clear that there isn't much for end-users to
7 > see or test yet. Generally the ebuilds for new KDE versions show up
8 > shortly after the first alpha release, and the KDE devs haven't given
9 > any dates for the first alpha, first beta, or final releases [2]. So
10 > I would keep an eye on [2] to see when there might be something useful
11 > to test.
12 >
13 > [1] http://dot.kde.org/1155935483/
14 > [2] http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-4.0-release-plan.html
15
16 I'll second that. I'm usually pretty out front, testing new things like
17 gcc, xorg, and kde, well before they are unmasked for even ~arch.
18 However, the freshly announced KDE isn't anything I'll be installing yet.
19 It's code-named "Krash" for a reason. They've been pretty specific about
20 the fact that it has few new features for the end user, and is out there
21 almost exclusively for those developers that need something on which to
22 begin developing their own KDE 4 applications. Not only is there little
23 if anything actually new (besides the fact that it's now running on Qt 4
24 instead of Qt 3), but it's /expected/ to crash frequently, thus the name.
25 As long as it stays up long enough to be able to test whatever application
26 the developer is working on, say 10 minutes at a time, that's considered
27 good enough for now.
28
29 I too am looking forward to something to test, but the fact is, this isn't
30 an end user test version at all. Running it now as an end user simply
31 isn't going to be all that useful, even for finding and filing bugs,
32 because they know about enough bugs at this time to keep them busy as it
33 is. Again, this thing is known to be buggy, expected to crash frequently,
34 and is only out there at all in ordered to provide developers something to
35 work on to start upgrading their own non-core KDE apps.
36
37 As such, I'd be surprised to see it in portage at all. I know I wouldn't
38 bother creating ebuilds for it at this point. It'd simply create a stack
39 of useless bug reports, because the final product is going to be so much
40 different it will change out from under the current ebuilds anyway.
41
42 Thus, if you are /still/ interested in running it after all that, say you
43 ARE a developer for some non-core KDE application, you should expect to
44 build it directly from KDE, outside of portage, and as a developer, you'll
45 already know how and probably be doing it already.
46
47 JMHO, FWIW.
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list