From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drive asignments for sata drives
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:21:22
1 On Monday 12 March 2007 17:21:57 dustin@×××××××.us wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:11:03PM +0000, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
3 > > I had the same problem and despite my existing drive being connected to
4 > > what was labelled on the motherboard as SATA1 it in fact was not! Trial
5 > > and error gave me the correct one... It would be useful if the nodes were
6 > > more fixed but most systems do not change after initial set up and this
7 > > situation can be fixed quite easily.
8 >
9 > It's worth noting that the "correct" way to do this is now with fs
10 > labels or UUIDs. Personally, I use LVM for everything but
11 > boot/root/swap, and that uses UUIDs internally, so I don't have much
12 > issue (it would be sweet if Gentoo could easily boot from LVM, but that
13 > requires an initrd).
14 >
15 > Anyway, I'm not too sure how to indicate a UUID to the kernel for its
16 > root fs. There's a RedHat kernel patch that allows you to specify e.g.,
17 > 'root=LABEL=myroot' on the kernel cmdline, but I'm not sure if that's
18 > available in the stock Gentoo kernel, or if it supports UUIDs.
19 >
20 > You can use 'LABEL=foo' or UUID='fooo-ooo-ooo..' in /etc/fstab, though.
21 >
22 I haven't encountered this before, but I thought the labels must have some
23 use! That is certainly useful although I am now using RAID0/1/5 (depending up
24 on partition) along with LVM2 and so they take care of most of this.
25
26 The main issue I see is the root= line in grub (or whatever you use) as I am
27 guessing from other posts this doesn't work. I don't think it matters too
28 much for me now as that is a RAID5 partition too.
29
30 In this age of SATA drives using labels, uuids etc is probably the way to go
31 as my system fell flat on its face when I put a new drive in. Anyone know if
32 the Gentoo kernel can boot using a label? Back to work anyway... Busy, busy,
33 busy...