From: dustin@×××××××.us
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drive asignments for sata drives
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:23:55
1 On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:11:03PM +0000, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
2 > I had the same problem and despite my existing drive being connected to what
3 > was labelled on the motherboard as SATA1 it in fact was not! Trial and error
4 > gave me the correct one... It would be useful if the nodes were more fixed
5 > but most systems do not change after initial set up and this situation can be
6 > fixed quite easily.
7
8 It's worth noting that the "correct" way to do this is now with fs
9 labels or UUIDs. Personally, I use LVM for everything but
10 boot/root/swap, and that uses UUIDs internally, so I don't have much
11 issue (it would be sweet if Gentoo could easily boot from LVM, but that
12 requires an initrd).
13
14 Anyway, I'm not too sure how to indicate a UUID to the kernel for its
15 root fs. There's a RedHat kernel patch that allows you to specify e.g.,
16 'root=LABEL=myroot' on the kernel cmdline, but I'm not sure if that's
17 available in the stock Gentoo kernel, or if it supports UUIDs.
18
19 You can use 'LABEL=foo' or UUID='fooo-ooo-ooo..' in /etc/fstab, though.
20
21 Dustin
22 --
23 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list