From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Radeon driver update
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 06:57:02
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 495B8F03.7050501@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed, 31 Dec 2008
3 10:25:55 -0500:
4
5 > Duncan wrote:
6 >> "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
7 >> 495B5F9B.2000902@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed, 31 Dec
8 >> 2008 07:03:39 -0500:
9 >>
10 >>> I updated the xf86-ati-driver package late yesterday and now my fonts
11 >>> are all screwed up. My text is really big compared to what it was
12 >>> before. I thought maybe xorg.conf was re-written but it looks fine to
13 >>> me. As it is, my system is usable but not comfortably so. So what
14 >>> the devil have I done to it?
15 >>
16 >> Knowing the version now... and in cases like this, the version
17 >> before... often helps...
18 >
19 > I was running 6.6.3 and then updated to 6.8.0-r1. I'm not running
20 > ~amd64. I'm not running any Xorg overlays, just plain jane Xorg. This
21 > system is a laptop, so the config has been set (and working) for well
22 > over 2 years now.
23
24 OK. IIRC 6.6.x was pre-RandR support. When I upgraded from that I had a
25 LOT of reconfiguring to do here, but most of that was due to the dual-
26 head setup I use.
27
28 That's a pretty big jump, a LOT of stuff changed in how it manages
29 things, and your best bet may be to almost start from scratch with your
30 xorg.conf -- except that you can still crib some settings from the old
31 one when trying to setup the new one.
32
33 FWIW there's some changes in xorg-server too, but it looks like 1.3.x is
34 stable there and 1.5.x is ~arch, and my memory is fuzzier on what changes
35 were in which versions, there, altho you could always check the upstream
36 release announcements and/or changelogs.
37
38 Anyway, just for kicks, I'd see just how good xorg is at detecting and
39 setting up /everything/ on its own -- from the CLI, try renaming
40 xorg.conf so xorg detects everything dynamically and see how good (or
41 bad, as the case may be) it actually does detecting and setting up
42 everything on its own, dynamically. That's the ultimate goal with all
43 this RandR and hotplug detection stuff. It may or may not be actually
44 there yet on your system, but it's actually practical to consider it now,
45 where it wasn't, previously.
46
47 With a laptop, it's likely you'll have some special-function keys you
48 want setup so you may want an xorg.conf at least for that, but with newer
49 xorg and hal and the appropriate xevents input drivers (xf86-input-evdev,
50 possibly xf86-input-evtouch if the laptop has a touchpad mouse) compiled,
51 you may not even need that! It's worth trying anyway -- but as I said,
52 ensure you have evdev/evtouch compiled for hal to try, or input isn't
53 likely to work right.
54
55 If it doesn't work, do consider trying it again when you next upgrade
56 xorg-server. As I said, they're making pretty big strides in the area
57 right now, and xorg.conf-less dynamic config is actually possible on at
58 least some hardware, now.
59
60 >> FWIW, xf86-video-ati-6.9.0 here, on ~amd64
61
62 >> As to the problem, what sort of monitor(s) are you running and do you
63 >> have its dimensions set?
64 >
65 > The dimensions look like they are set correctly (1280x800):
66
67 I'm sorry, I meant physical display dimensions, Xmm Ymm, so xorg can
68 calculate DPI on its own, or DPI directly (if you set it in your DE).
69
70 > (II) RADEON(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
71 > (II) RADEON(0): clock: 68.9 MHz Image Size: 331 x 207 mm
72 > (II) RADEON(0): h_active: 1280 h_sync: 1296 h_sync_end 1344
73 > h_blank_end 1408 h_border: 0
74 > (II) RADEON(0): v_active: 800 v_sync: 801 v_sync_end 804 v_blanking:
75 > 816 v_border: 0
76
77 OK, as you can see there, for that mode at least, your dimensions would
78 be 331 x 207 mm, so you could set in your monitor section:
79
80 DisplaySize 331 207
83 > I had to setup a 'Modeline' that corresponded to the correct dimension
84 > of my monitor back when I first setup gentoo on this laptop.
85
86 Even if an entirely xorg.conf-less setup doesn't work, you will want to
87 try commenting your modeline, to see if xorg gets it right on its own,
88 now. With dual monitors, it doesn't, at least here, but it does seem to
89 detect and setup just one monitor correctly, here. If you are lucky...
90
91 > I don't think I've setup a standard DPI or display size in my xorg.conf
92 > file. I don't recall doing so and I"ve not touched that config file in
93 > over a year. How/where do I do that in xorg.conf?
94
95 See the xorg.conf manpage for the details, especially since they may be
96 differences between the arch-stable xorg-server-1.3.x you are likely
97 running and the ~arch xorg-server-1.5.x I'm running, but it should be a
98 line like the DisplaySize line above (you can indent it as needed),
99 either in your Monitor section, or possibly in that old an xorg-server,
100 elsewhere. (After a quick check, the oldest xorg-server for which I
101 still have a binpkg is 1.4.0.90-r3. It lists DisplaySize in the Monitor
102 section as 1.5.x does, so the new location. But of course that's a 1.5
103 prerelease. Whether it was in the monitor or some other section clear
104 back in 1.3... well, check your xorg.conf manpage and see.)
105
106 One cautionary note: Since it wasn't set before, who knows what strange
107 defaults xorg may have chosen? You adjusted your font sizes to it and
108 they now seem normal, even if they are badly skewed because the DPI
109 wasn't correct. If that's the case, the correct DPI/DisplaySize will NOT
110 look right until you adjust font sizes to match, since they were so badly
111 skewed before. In that case, you have a choice. You can either adjust
112 all your font sizes to correct them, or you can deliberately give xorg a
113 bad displaysize line to match what it was before. Giving it a bad
114 displaysize line would be easier short term, but you're likely to have
115 continuing problems with various apps and upgrades until you get it set
116 correctly, after which /most/ of the problems should go away, tho there
117 will always be the strange corner-cases that must be compensated for
118 manually.
119
120 FWIW, plugging 331 mm and 207 mm into units (a CLI conversion tool,
121 nice... might be worth merging if you don't have it), I get ~13.03 inches
122 and ~8.15 inches. Doing the math 1280 px / 13.03 inches, 800 px / 8.15
123 inches , that's roughly 98x98 DPI (dots per inch, pixels per inch).
124 96x96 DPI is one of the common standard values (sometimes referred to as
125 100 DPI, as seen for example in the xorg font names), so that's what I'd
126 guess your physical monitor uses when set correctly. The two other
127 common values I've seen are 75 DPI (old, but see for instance the 75 DPI
128 xorg fonts) and 120 DPI.
129
130 If you have your old xorg log files or your old xf86-video-ati and
131 perhaps xorg-server packages binpkged (as you likely will if you run
132 FEATURES=buildpkg)to downgrade temporarily to and check the log file, it
133 should list the DPI it was using in the log file. You can of course see
134 what the current config is using in the current logfile, and compare them
135 to that 96 or 100 DPI that I calculated, to see whether your old setup or
136 your new setup is closer to what the actual physical hardware DPI is.
137
138 FWIW here (note that different xorg versions log somewhat different
139 formats and information):
140
141 (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 using initial mode 1920x1200
142 (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 using initial mode 1920x1200
143 after xf86InitialConfiguration
144 (**) RADEON(0): Display dimensions: (520, 320) mm
145 (**) RADEON(0): DPI set to (93, 190)
146
147 That's using the following in my xorg.conf:
148 DisplaySize 518.4 648 # both monitors
149
150 Again, that's with dual monitors, and xorg is screwing that bit up. I
151 have my two (identical) monitors stacked, so had to double the vertical
152 size, so half it here to get actual. Actual DPI it therefore ~93x95, or
153 pretty close to the 96x96 standard -- definitely closer to it than either
154 120x120 or 75x75, anyway.
159 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman