From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can anyone help please - CD error
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:51:23
1 BRM posted on Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:53:06 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > I have:
4 >
5 > CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD=y
6 > CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_BUFFERS=8
7 > # CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_WCACHE is not set
8
9 AFAIK, that's for packet data, not audio or ISO9660 filesystem, both of
10 which are stream based (disk or session at once), not packet based.
11 Normal CDs are stream based as well (by default), tho CD_RAM rewritables
12 are packet based I believe. DVDs are setup to be packet-written (UDF,
13 see below), tho they typically are written as a stream, anyway
14
15 So basically
16 > Also have:
17 >
18 > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
19 > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD_VERBOSE_ERRORS=y
20
21 IDE is legacy/deprecated. The PATA/SATA drivers are current (yes, even
22 tho PATA is still classified experimental). Unless you need to use IDE
23 drivers for something not yet supported by the libata based drivers, you
24 should really switch over to the libata/PATA/SATA drivers and turn off
25 the entire IDE subsystem. At your leisure, of course, but I'd strongly
26 consider checking it out the next time you upgrade your kernel... Unless
27 you know you need it for legacy IDE drive controllers, of course.
28
29 > But those are not likely it. It's likely with the File Systems...
30 >
31 >> CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m
32 >> CONFIG_JOLIET=y
33 >> CONFIG_ZISOFS=y
34 >> CONFIG_UDF_FS=m
35 >> CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y
36 >
37 > I have all of these as 'y', no modules. Check to make sure the UDF and
38 > ISO9660 file system modules are loaded. Your issue may be that they are
39 > not being loaded for some reason.
40
41 ISO9660 was the CDROM default, tho IIRC it's not used for CDA/CDAudio.
42 Joliet (AKA CDFS) is the MS backed ISO9660 additional metadata (long-
43 filename/lfn, pure unextended ISO9660 allows 31-char filenames only, with
44 certain other restrictions as well) extension, while RockRidge is the *ix
45 based parallel, which includes POSIX file permissions as well as the
46 longer filenames. Most folks have both enabled, to read CD/DVDs created
47 with either (and many people will include both extensions on their CD/
48 DVDs, too), tho MS-only folks could probably get along with Joliet-only,
49 and *ix-only folks could get along with RockRidge only if they don't care
50 about compatibility or reading MS platform authored disks.
51
52 ZISOFS is simply gzip-compressed ISOs, I believe.
53
54 UDF, Universal Disk Format, was to be the successor to ISO9660, and is
55 what is used on DVDs by default (tho many/most are dual ISO9660/UDF as
56 their data format is compatible, it's the metadata location and format
57 that differs). As mentioned above, it can be packet-based or stream-
58 based. The original/plain UDF spec allowed for packet-based, but the
59 physical/practical limits of optical disc media make that difficult.
60 There's two additional forms of it, VAT and Spared, the latter being the
61 most practical for most RW media. Unfortunately, UDF support is often
62 only plain, particularly in older DVD players, etc, not VAT or Spared.
63
64 > I also have:
65 >
66 > CONFIG_UFS_FS=y
67 >
68 > While I could be wrong, I believe some CD/DVD producers use the UFS file
69 > system on the discs, so while it's not directly listed under the CD/DVD
70 > stuff, it may still be important.
71
72 AFAIK (and wikipedia backs it up, BTW, there's interesting wiki articles
73 on UDF, packet writing, ISO9660, etc, as well), UFS, Unix File System,
74 aka Berkeley Fast File System (FFS), has little or nothing to do with
75 optical media. According to wikipedia, the Sony Playstations v 2 & 3 use
76 UDF, but on the hard drive not on optical media.
77
78 So you're probably getting UDF (universal disk format, optical) and UFS
79 (Unix File System, normally conventional magnetic hard drives) mixed up,
80 as I often do myself except I knew I was doing so and could therefore
81 look it up if necessary (as I finally did just now). But since I did
82 finally look them up, and in doing so I found out that UFS is Unix
83 filesystem, I think/hope I'll be able to keep them straight now, or at
84 least straighter.
89 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman