From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [gentoo-user] chromium failed to start up
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 04:56:11
1 Xi Shen posted on Sat, 26 Dec 2009 12:31:24 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3, and have recently updated. last time
4 > i emerged chromium and it works fine. but after updated the world, my
5 > chromium cannot start up. it reports segment fault.
6
7 Did you do a revdep-rebuild after the last update? Chances are, one of
8 chromium's dependencies was updated, changing its abi, and chromium (and
9 perhaps other packages) that depend on it need rebuilt to match the new
10 abi.
11
12 It's revdep-rebuild that takes care of this, but if you don't run it
13 routinely, you'll likely have a BUNCH of stuff to rebuild. FWIW,
14 lafilefixer (with the --justfixit option) can reduce that bunch of stuff
15 by fixing *.la files that point to other *.la files, to point to the
16 libraries directly instead.
17
18 Also, you may wish to read up on LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" and consider
19 using it too, as it helps kill indirect dependencies. (Say application X
20 uses library Y, which depends on library Z, but application X doesn't use
21 any of library Z's functionality directly, so it shouldn't need to
22 directly depend on it, and shouldn't need to be rebuilt when only library
23 Z changes. Only library Y would need rebuilt. The as-needed LDFLAGS
24 help this happen, thus reducing substantially the number of rebuilds
25 needed, but at a cost of occasionally causing a legit depend to be
26 missed. But flameeyes has been working on this as one of his projects,
27 so it doesn't happen very often with at least mainline packages any more,
28 tho it might in obscure corner cases, the reason it's not yet the
29 default. So... consider it carefully as there's a major upside and
30 generally only obscure case downside, but do be aware of the issues if
31 you decide to use it.)
32
33 Of course, the LDFLAGS as-needed won't help much until you've recompiled
34 a good part of your system at least once with it in place. But the
35 lafilefixer thing is just about perfect -- very little downside, it
36 doesn't take long to run compared to even a couple package rebuilds, and
37 it can be put to use immediately after you merge it! =:^)
38
39 Together, these reduce the number of revdep-rebuilds SUBSTANTIALLY, and I
40 run it after every update session. (Actually, my revdep-rebuild invoking
41 script automatically runs lafilefixer --justfixit before it runs revdep-
42 rebuild, just to be sure, so I only invoke that script after the update
43 and it takes care of both.)
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman