From: Xi Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [gentoo-user] chromium failed to start up
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:55:46
1 On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Xi Shen posted on Sat, 26 Dec 2009 12:31:24 +0800 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3, and have recently updated. last time
5 >> i emerged chromium and it works fine. but after updated the world, my
6 >> chromium cannot start up. it reports segment fault.
7 >
8 > Did you do a revdep-rebuild after the last update?  Chances are, one of
9 > chromium's dependencies was updated, changing its abi, and chromium (and
10 > perhaps other packages) that depend on it need rebuilt to match the new
11 > abi.
12 >
13 > It's revdep-rebuild that takes care of this, but if you don't run it
14 > routinely, you'll likely have a BUNCH of stuff to rebuild.  FWIW,
15 > lafilefixer (with the --justfixit option) can reduce that bunch of stuff
16 > by fixing *.la files that point to other *.la files, to point to the
17 > libraries directly instead.
18 >
19 > Also, you may wish to read up on LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" and consider
20 > using it too, as it helps kill indirect dependencies. (Say application X
21 > uses library Y, which depends on library Z, but application X doesn't use
22 > any of library Z's functionality directly, so it shouldn't need to
23 > directly depend on it, and shouldn't need to be rebuilt when only library
24 > Z changes.  Only library Y would need rebuilt.  The as-needed LDFLAGS
25 > help this happen, thus reducing substantially the number of rebuilds
26 > needed, but at a cost of occasionally causing a legit depend to be
27 > missed.  But flameeyes has been working on this as one of his projects,
28 > so it doesn't happen very often with at least mainline packages any more,
29 > tho it might in obscure corner cases, the reason it's not yet the
30 > default.  So... consider it carefully as there's a major upside and
31 > generally only obscure case downside, but do be aware of the issues if
32 > you decide to use it.)
33 >
34 > Of course, the LDFLAGS as-needed won't help much until you've recompiled
35 > a good part of your system at least once with it in place.  But the
36 > lafilefixer thing is just about perfect -- very little downside, it
37 > doesn't take long to run compared to even a couple package rebuilds, and
38 > it can be put to use immediately after you merge it! =:^)
39 >
40 > Together, these reduce the number of revdep-rebuilds SUBSTANTIALLY, and I
41 > run it after every update session.  (Actually, my revdep-rebuild invoking
42 > script automatically runs lafilefixer --justfixit before it runs revdep-
43 > rebuild, just to be sure, so I only invoke that script after the update
44 > and it takes care of both.)
45 >
46 > --
47 > Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
48 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
49 > and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman
55 yes, i have run the revdep-rebuild immediately after update the world.
56 i think you are correct. since chromium is not a main stream package,
57 indirect library dependence may cause this kind of problem.
58
59 thanks a lot.
63 Best Regards,
64 David Shen