From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel.org vs. Gentoo-64 bit kernels (xruns)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:27:39
1 On Tuesday 20 September 2005 18:01, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On 9/20/05, Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > > Thanks. Yes, I've run ck-sources a few times in the past but not had
5 > >
6 > > when you run with ck-sources, others have found it's best to use
7 > > SCHED_ISO rather than SCHED_NORM (ck was patched with ISO support) -
8 > > which is like real time scheduling for users processes. From what I hear
9 > > it's easier to setup than the rt limits stuff (ie. it's automatic).
10 > > --
11 > > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
12 >
13 > Billy,
14 > Hey, thanks for the tip. IT would be great to see this run better.
15 >
16 > I'm looking around in the kernel and haven't foudn SCHED_ISO vs.
17 > SCHED_NORM. For the preemption model I chose 'Low Latency Desktop'. In
18 > the .config file I see these entries:
19 >
20 > #
21 > # IO Schedulers
22 > #
23 > CONFIG_IOSCHED_NOOP=y
24 > CONFIG_IOSCHED_AS=y
25 > CONFIG_IOSCHED_DEADLINE=y
26 > CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y
27 >
28 > Am I supposed to choose one at the command line when booting? Or can I
29 > change schedulers once the kernel is running, through /proc or
30 > something?
31
32 These ones are schedulers for harddisk (and other IO) access. As such they are
33 not related to the task scheduling that SCHED_ISO is about.
34
35 Paul
38 Paul de Vrieze
39 Gentoo Developer