From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel.org vs. Gentoo-64 bit kernels (xruns)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:03:22
1 On 9/20/05, Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Thanks. Yes, I've run ck-sources a few times in the past but not had
4 >
5 > when you run with ck-sources, others have found it's best to use
6 > SCHED_ISO rather than SCHED_NORM (ck was patched with ISO support) -
7 > which is like real time scheduling for users processes. From what I hear
8 > it's easier to setup than the rt limits stuff (ie. it's automatic).
9 > --
10 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
13 Billy,
14 Hey, thanks for the tip. IT would be great to see this run better.
15
16 I'm looking around in the kernel and haven't foudn SCHED_ISO vs.
17 SCHED_NORM. For the preemption model I chose 'Low Latency Desktop'. In
18 the .config file I see these entries:
19
20 #
21 # IO Schedulers
22 #
23 CONFIG_IOSCHED_NOOP=y
24 CONFIG_IOSCHED_AS=y
25 CONFIG_IOSCHED_DEADLINE=y
26 CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y
27
28 Am I supposed to choose one at the command line when booting? Or can I
29 change schedulers once the kernel is running, through /proc or
30 something?
31
32 If I cannot google something then I'll sign up for the ck list.
33
34 Thanks again to all who have answered. The info is helpful.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Mark
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list