From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: urgent: Segfaults after synchronously emerging|downloading 30GB|burnng a DVD iso image
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 08:36:15
1 On Saturday 27 May 2006 14:38, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Second suggestion and something I'm again doing here, consider creating a
4 > second copy of your root partition
5
6 What tool or command do you use to make your copies? I remember seeing an
7 invocation of tar piped to tar to ensure that all dates, permissions etc
8 are preserved, even on pipes and other esoteric things, but my memory being
9 what it is of course I can't remember it.
10
11 You may remember that I've been using Partition Magic for this task (version
12 8 can boot from its installation CD), but I keep discovering more ways in
13 which its Windows nature and consequent arrogance make it more difficult
14 than it should be. For instance, I discovered last night on my laptop that,
15 when I copied my root partition to an empty space on the same disk, it
16 changed all my grub.conf entries to point to the copy. Then, when I
17 upgraded to modular X, deleted the copy and copied over the new root
18 partition, guess what? Not knowing of the subterfuge, I destroyed all that
19 work (finding 101 lines to add to package.keywords the most tiring) and had
20 to go for a pint to calm my temper. (Still, it's an ill wind that blows
21 no-one any good.)
22
23 I've known for a while that PM changes /etc/fstab, and always gets it wrong
24 so that I can't boot until I've corrected it, but this is the first time
25 it's caused real data loss and anger.
28 Rgds
29 Peter.
30 --
31 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list