From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: urgent: Segfaults after synchronously emerging|downloading 30GB|burnng a DVD iso image
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 20:27:53
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200605290931.52350.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Mon, 29 May
3 2006 09:31:52 +0100:
4
5 > On Saturday 27 May 2006 14:38, Duncan wrote:
6 >
7 >> Second suggestion and something I'm again doing here, consider creating
8 >> a second copy of your root partition
9 >
10 > What tool or command do you use to make your copies? I remember seeing an
11 > invocation of tar piped to tar to ensure that all dates, permissions etc
12 > are preserved, even on pipes and other esoteric things, but my memory
13 > being what it is of course I can't remember it.
14
15 I use mc (midnight commander) quite heavily, both at the console and in
16 X, both for file management and editing. My EDITOR variable is set to
17 mcedit, I have a seriously customized system-wide "user" menu (mc key F2),
18 I have konqueror and kwrite set to use many of the same keyboard
19 shortcuts (like F2 for save in mcedit/kwrite, F8/delete, F5/copy, F6/move
20 in mc/konqueror, etc)
21
22 mc defaults to retaining ownership and permissions, and just does "the
23 right thing" by default on all that exotic stuff (pipes, sockets,
24 symlinks, device files, etc).
25
26 I use partitions/volumes quite heavily here, and the one issue I did run
27 into originally was efficiently doing a copy of my root partition (only)
28 to rootbak. There are various ways to do it including booting to single
29 user mode and unmounting everything but the root file system. However,
30 it's far simpler, I found, to simply setup an entry in fstab for a mount
31 --bind rootfs, thus getting a view of the filesystem without all the
32 submounts, and with the /dev dir on disk available to be copied as well,
33 instead of the udev overmount I'd normally get copying that dir. Here's
34 the entry I use:
35
36 #Dev/Part MntPnt Type MntOpt D F
37 # for mount --bind, --rbind, and --move
38 #/old/dir /new/dir none bind 0 0
39 /. /rootbind none bind,noauto 0 0
40
41 Note that due to the way the Gentoo initscripts work, you can't simply use
42 / as the /old/dir entry as that will mess up checkroot. I had a time
43 figuring out what /would/ work, until I remembered that a single dot points
44 to "me", the same as .. points to the parent dir, so be sure to use /. as
45 the old dir entry, not simply /. It'll save you some trouble! Of course,
46 you can change the /rootbind to /mnt/rootbind or some such if you prefer.
47 Don't forget to create the dir so the system has someplace to do the
48 mount! As you can see, I use the "noauto" option in addition to "bind",
49 so it's not mounted unless I tell it to mount. The fstab entry does save
50 having to look up the correct mount --bind command line syntax, however,
51 and a simple "mount /r<tab>" to get autocompletion based on the fstab
52 entry is far easier than typing the whole long command in, if I didn't
53 have an fstab entry for it, as well.
54
55 Of course, one /could/ use dd or similar to do a direct bit-for-bit image
56 copy of the filesystem image itself. As that would be sequential and have
57 less overhead, it would be rather faster. Doing the mount --bind dance
58 above wouldn't be necessary, either. However, the file-by-file copy is
59 conceptually easier since it's something we all do every day, and it also
60 has the effect of cleaning up filesystem fragmentation and other such
61 cruft. Thus, I normally do a mkfs to wipe the old backup clean, then
62 mount /rootbind and /bak, load mc with a view on each, select everything
63 in /rootbind, and hit F5 to initiate the copy. Again, mc manages all
64 the permissions stuff so it just works, so I don't have to worry about
65 that at all.
66
67 > You may remember that I've been using Partition Magic for this task
68 > (version 8 can boot from its installation CD), but I keep discovering
69 > more ways in which its Windows nature and consequent arrogance make it
70 > more difficult than it should be. For instance, I discovered last night
71 > on my laptop that, when I copied my root partition to an empty space on
72 > the same disk, it changed all my grub.conf entries to point to the copy.
73 > Then, when I upgraded to modular X, deleted the copy and copied over the
74 > new root partition, guess what? Not knowing of the subterfuge, I
75 > destroyed all that work (finding 101 lines to add to package.keywords
76 > the most tiring) and had to go for a pint to calm my temper. (Still,
77 > it's an ill wind that blows no-one any good.)
78 >
79 > I've known for a while that PM changes /etc/fstab, and always gets it
80 > wrong so that I can't boot until I've corrected it, but this is the
81 > first time it's caused real data loss and anger.
82
83 I used to swear by Partition Magic. I had actually tried Quarterdeck's
84 Partition It at one time instead of upgrading PM, and had problems. When
85 I gave up and switched back to PM, I found out why -- PI had screwed up
86 the partition entries and had incorrect data for some stuff! I Considered
87 myself lucky not to have lost anything, and /only/ used PM from then on --
88 until I made the jump to Linux-only, anyway.
89
90 At that point, I wrote them, asking when they were going to support stuff
91 like reiserfs and ext3. They said they'd support whichever one became the
92 official upgrade from ext2 (which they did support at the time and which I
93 had used while I was playing around with Linux a bit). Well, I knew both
94 were supported in the 2.4 kernel, along with JFS, XFS, etc, and decided PM
95 wasn't so hot when it came to Linux stuff as it was on MSWormOS.
96
97 I asked about support for a Linux executable as well. They said none was
98 planned but that the DOS based floppy version would work (that was before
99 bootable CDs became common place). Well, yes, but that wasn't the same
100 thing.
101
102 So... I decided to try out the Linux alternatives. I'm glad I did.
103
104 Mandrake (which I was using at the time) had a (GPL licensed) GTK based
105 partitioning client with an interface that any PM user would have been
106 comfortable with. It was called DiskDrake. I still don't know why it
107 hasn't become far more popular, because it was (and I assume still is,
108 tho the name will have changed) as simple as PM to use, and lowers the
109 barrier to entry for MSWormOS types /dramatically/. I assume the thing is
110 still available on the first Mandriva install CD, tho I have no idea what
111 it would be called, now.
112
113 When I switched to Gentoo, I settled on cfdisk, which I had experimented
114 with on Mandrake, but never used extensively. It's curses based, and
115 should seem familiar to those who have used the PM text based interface
116 that they at least used to have on that floppy I mentioned. Anyone who
117 has used MS' FDISK utility should find it familiar as well. It's quite
118 usable and I've had zero problems with it, but it's not the fancy
119 graphical interface of PM or Mandrake's DiskDrake.
120
121 Now, of course, I wouldn't use PM in any case, as it's slaveryware. As
122 well, for Linux, it was more limited than diskdrake was, even back with
123 Mandrake 8.x, altho diskdrake was of course more limited with NTFS
124 partitions and the like. From what you've said, it seems like it still
125 has some limitations on the Linux side, tho I'd hope by now it at least
126 supports the basic Linux filesystem types, including
127 reiserfs/ext3/jfs/xfs. It'd be a shame if it didn't. By now, I'd be
128 asking when they were adding reiser4 support, if it wasn't yet included.
129 I've not used it yet, but I'm expecting I eventually will, and would
130 expect an app like PM that I actually had to pay money for to have support
131 for it by the time it became part of the mainstream kernel, in any case.
136 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
139 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list