From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: madwifi-ng not compile in amd64
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:47:12
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560801300032m6f6c51adwc9f4bd75da066609@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:32:57 +0100:
4
5 > i'd also advise to use the the --buildpkg feature for some high
6 > compiling time packages like kdebase, gcc, openoffice or mplayer. since
7 > these packages are likely to be the same for quite some time and they
8 > might be pushed into recompilation by some other updates having them
9 > packaged on disk (they'd require disk space when packaged) would mean to
10 > skip all the compilation part and jump directly to the install one (of
11 > course if they would need to be recompiled portage would do it).
12
13 IMO --buildpkg (or better yet, FEATURES=buildpkg, if you've got 2-4 gigs
14 of room for the packages) is one of the most under-advertised power-user
15 tools Gentoo has. The binaries are just so handy to have around, giving
16 one all the advantages of a binary distribution if you need to remerge or
17 need to fetch a "pristine" config file for some reason, without losing
18 all the benefits and extra control allowed by from-source, since you
19 compile everything initially anyway.
20
21 Of course, if something big dependency-wise changes, one often ends up
22 rebuilding from-source anyway, so the linking gets updated to the new
23 dependencies, so buildpkg is not a cure-all, but it certainly has its
24 uses, and I'd be hard pressed to try to do without it!
25
26 > i still think that having the base system on the unstable arch isn't a
27 > very good idea. i've used the same stuff for quite some time, but i
28 > found out that it isn't a very good stuff. or at least 6 months ago
29 > wasn't a good idea.
30
31 I've never had serious issues in that regard. I'd suggest it's because
32 I /always/ use --update --deep --newuse on my emerge world updates, so
33 stuff tends to be pretty up to date anyway, and due to regular use of
34 revdep-rebuild and emerge --depclean to keep the system hygiene level
35 high.
36
37 The one hassle there is, is that ~arch may have multiple version updates
38 in the time there's only a single stable version update. It's not
39 uncommon for USE flags to change, thus triggering a --newuse rebuild, and/
40 or for various bugs and their fixes discovered during the ~ phase to be
41 judged -rX worthy, and stable folks and those that don't routinely use
42 --deep get to skip a lot of that.
43
44 The cure, of course, is a faster machine! =8^) Gentoo was reasonable
45 with my old dual Opteron 242, but merges for things such as gcc, glibc,
46 and DEFINITELY whole desktop updates like KDE, tended to be a chore. The
47 upgrade to dual dual-core Opteron 290s, combined with 8 gigs memory (tho
48 4 gig would do) and putting PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs, made a HUGE
49 difference. Where KDE 3.5 updates, for example, would take ~12 hours
50 back when I had a gig of memory and no tmpfs, and ~8 hours after
51 upgrading the memory, I was running the KDE4-svn ebuilds from the
52 overlay, and could compile all of KDE4 (well, most, I didn't have kdeedu
53 or kdedevel merged) in ~4 hours with the dual dual-cores and
54 PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs with 8 gigs memory, generally < 2 hours with
55 everything ccached if I did it daily, and often closer to a single hour!
56
57 Really. Those who've not yet had a chance to try quad cores (however you
58 get them) and a good 4 gigs memory minimum, it really /does/ make running
59 Gentoo pretty trivial. A couple years from now when that's a lower end
60 new system, it's likely Gentoo and other from-source distributions will
61 see a fresh rise in popularity, because the time differences between
62 grabbing a binary update and grabbing a from-source update begin to be
63 pretty trivial, while all the advantages of from source, in particular,
64 greater control of dependencies without bloat, remain. At that level,
65 the admin time, just figuring out what you are going to install, and
66 dealing with the config updates, etc, is as much a factor as the compile
67 time. By the time we reach 8 cores and a full 8 to 16 gig RAM, that
68 admin time will be the MAJOR factor, with the actual compile time almost
69 entirely a non-factor, so the advantages of running binary pretty much
70 disappear while the advantages of running from-source remain as big as
71 they ever were!
76 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
79 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list