From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: madwifi-ng not compile in amd64
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:08:00
1 2008/1/30, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 >
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560801300032m6f6c51adwc9f4bd75da066609@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:32:57 +0100:
6 >
7 > > i'd also advise to use the the --buildpkg feature for some high
8 > > compiling time packages like kdebase, gcc, openoffice or mplayer. since
9 > > these packages are likely to be the same for quite some time and they
10 > > might be pushed into recompilation by some other updates having them
11 > > packaged on disk (they'd require disk space when packaged) would mean to
12 > > skip all the compilation part and jump directly to the install one (of
13 > > course if they would need to be recompiled portage would do it).
14 >
15 > IMO --buildpkg (or better yet, FEATURES=buildpkg, if you've got 2-4 gigs
16 > of room for the packages) is one of the most under-advertised power-user
17 > tools Gentoo has. The binaries are just so handy to have around, giving
18 > one all the advantages of a binary distribution if you need to remerge or
19 > need to fetch a "pristine" config file for some reason, without losing
20 > all the benefits and extra control allowed by from-source, since you
21 > compile everything initially anyway.
24 i only use it on system packages like gcc that are mandatory for compiling
25 something (just in case something breaks) and on some big packages that
26 don't update frequently (kdebase, kdelibs). this requires less space than
27 buildpkg for all world packages. of course having this option enabled needs
28 frequent distcleans after updates since there's the risk of having there
29 different versions of the same package that aren't used.
30
31 Of course, if something big dependency-wise changes, one often ends up
32 > rebuilding from-source anyway, so the linking gets updated to the new
33 > dependencies, so buildpkg is not a cure-all, but it certainly has its
34 > uses, and I'd be hard pressed to try to do without it!
37 it sure helps when a rebuild is triggered after a lib soname update or
38 relinking issues. in that case there's no need to recompile but only to
39 relink and having binary builds helps a lot.
40
41 > i still think that having the base system on the unstable arch isn't a
42 > > very good idea. i've used the same stuff for quite some time, but i
43 > > found out that it isn't a very good stuff. or at least 6 months ago
44 > > wasn't a good idea.
45 >
46 > I've never had serious issues in that regard. I'd suggest it's because
47 > I /always/ use --update --deep --newuse on my emerge world updates, so
48 > stuff tends to be pretty up to date anyway, and due to regular use of
49 > revdep-rebuild and emerge --depclean to keep the system hygiene level
50 > high.
53 the problem is always there: major or blocking bugs getting into the
54 unstable branch after the update of the package (has happened with dhcpcd
55 for example) that makes gentoo devs mask the package the next day or so. so
56 for people like me that update daily this could be troublesome if it happens
57 on the system packages.
58
59 The cure, of course, is a faster machine! =8^) Gentoo was reasonable
60 > with my old dual Opteron 242, but merges for things such as gcc, glibc,
61 > and DEFINITELY whole desktop updates like KDE, tended to be a chore. The
62 > upgrade to dual dual-core Opteron 290s, combined with 8 gigs memory (tho
63 > 4 gig would do) and putting PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs, made a HUGE
64 > difference. Where KDE 3.5 updates, for example, would take ~12 hours
65 > back when I had a gig of memory and no tmpfs, and ~8 hours after
66 > upgrading the memory, I was running the KDE4-svn ebuilds from the
67 > overlay, and could compile all of KDE4 (well, most, I didn't have kdeedu
68 > or kdedevel merged) in ~4 hours with the dual dual-cores and
69 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs with 8 gigs memory, generally < 2 hours with
70 > everything ccached if I did it daily, and often closer to a single hour!
73 this is a high end machine. opteron is better than a normal athlon x2 in
74 terms of compilation and having 8gb on a server mobo, that differs from
75 normal mobos, is not affordable for every user. my system is about the
76 average one (2ghz processor, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd) for notebooks and quite
77 average one for desktops. remember that nuveau devs still work on athlons or
78 pentium 3 hw, and that hw is not dead yet. your system nowadays is a
79 middle-high end one.
80
81 Really. Those who've not yet had a chance to try quad cores (however you
82 > get them) and a good 4 gigs memory minimum, it really /does/ make running
83 > Gentoo pretty trivial. A couple years from now when that's a lower end
84 > new system, it's likely Gentoo and other from-source distributions will
85 > see a fresh rise in popularity, because the time differences between
86 > grabbing a binary update and grabbing a from-source update begin to be
87 > pretty trivial, while all the advantages of from source, in particular,
88 > greater control of dependencies without bloat, remain. At that level,
89 > the admin time, just figuring out what you are going to install, and
90 > dealing with the config updates, etc, is as much a factor as the compile
91 > time. By the time we reach 8 cores and a full 8 to 16 gig RAM, that
92 > admin time will be the MAJOR factor, with the actual compile time almost
93 > entirely a non-factor, so the advantages of running binary pretty much
94 > disappear while the advantages of running from-source remain as big as
95 > they ever were!
98 well, this is true for minor packages, but kdelibs or kdebase for example
99 are still quite big and if you're not a developer you won't go around
100 compiling it everyday or so.
103 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
104 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
105 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
106 >
107 > --
108 > gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list
114 dott. ing. beso