From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64 newbie
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:47:49
1 On Monday, 23 January 2006 22:19, lnxg33k wrote:
2 > It's always good to know your system, but the entire installation process
3 > is rather painless (minus my experience with Grub which isn't architecture
4 > dependent). You'll want to learn more about the CPU if you plan on
5 > developing for it, but as a user you should be fine. You'll learn a lot
6 > simply by using the environment and reading up when you can or run into
7 > problems. Anyway, good luck with your install whichever distro you decide
8 > to use.
9
10 I've chosen a *big* harddisk so I'll probably go for all three to see what
11 they do. However, the main reason why I did not switch to Gentoo is I was
12 lazy - my double Athlon has been running Mepis for over two years with little
13 changes so I justed sticked to running it so.
14
15 Changing my main machine seems the good time to switch and get more control
16 over the system. I just tested emerge --update --deep world on my 32bit
17 Gentoo and all went well (I just had to set the Displamanager back to kdm by
18 hand) and while I prefer apt-get to SuSE's rpms, nothing beats emerge.
19
20 Thierry
23 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
24 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
25 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
26 Frank Zappa
27 --
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list