From: Etienne Imguimbert <eimguimbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64 newbie
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:51:20
1 Here you will find some answers to most questions amd64 users should have:
2 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-221361.html
3
4 Best regards,
5
6 Etienne
7
8 2006/1/24, Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>:
9 >
10 > On Monday, 23 January 2006 22:19, lnxg33k wrote:
11 > > It's always good to know your system, but the entire installation
12 > process
13 > > is rather painless (minus my experience with Grub which isn't
14 > architecture
15 > > dependent). You'll want to learn more about the CPU if you plan on
16 > > developing for it, but as a user you should be fine. You'll learn a lot
17 > > simply by using the environment and reading up when you can or run into
18 > > problems. Anyway, good luck with your install whichever distro you
19 > decide
20 > > to use.
21 >
22 > I've chosen a *big* harddisk so I'll probably go for all three to see what
23 > they do. However, the main reason why I did not switch to Gentoo is I was
24 > lazy - my double Athlon has been running Mepis for over two years with
25 > little
26 > changes so I justed sticked to running it so.
27 >
28 > Changing my main machine seems the good time to switch and get more
29 > control
30 > over the system. I just tested emerge --update --deep world on my 32bit
31 > Gentoo and all went well (I just had to set the Displamanager back to kdm
32 > by
33 > hand) and while I prefer apt-get to SuSE's rpms, nothing beats emerge.
34 >
35 > Thierry
36 >
37 > --
38 > The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
39 > capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
40 > safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
41 > Frank Zappa
42 > --
43 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list