From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: sudden sound loss
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:43:13
1 On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
6 > wrote:
7 > > <SNIP>
8 > >
9 > > > I've only ever run alsamixer from the console. I've never used a gui to
10 > > > configure sound. It doesn't look muted in alsamixer.
11 > > >
12 > > >
13 > >
14 > > Again, did you actually delete /etc/asound.state and then run
15 > > alsamixer again to recreate it anew? When you run alsamixer in this
16 > > way once again make sure everything is unmuted and both master and PCM
17 > > volumes are up.
18 > >
19 > > If your version of Alsa changed through an update or this file becomes
20 > > corrupted then you can have some very strange results.
21 > >
22 > > Just for kicks what's in /proc/asound? Do the expected sound cards
23 > > show up? lsmod results look reasonable?
24 > >
25 > > Good luck,
26 > > Mark
30 > I'm a total idiot. There was ONE option muted in alsa mixer that I over
31 > looked. Actually it wasn't overlooked so much that I /thought/ that setting
32 > had always been like that. I apologize to everyone for missing the obvious
33 > and wasting bandwidth and time. I'll try not to be a moron in the future.
34 >
35 > Sheesh.
38 <hehe> Glad to help.
39
40 I cannot even remember anymore how many times these setting have
41 fooled me. I use a lot of audio apps and they have a tendency to leave
42 some of these settings in somewhat unknown states so starting here
43 generally works for me.
44
45 Enjoy,
46 Mark