From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Cross compiler for Windows
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 03:27:26
1 Mansour Al Akeel posted on Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:54:49 -0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > I am trying but, I can not find any complete documentation for windows.
4 > I haven't used overlays before, and it looks like there's a need to use
5 > it. I am following http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Crossdev and when I
6 > use the layman overlay, I need to create make.conf for that overlay ??
7 > What do I put in that make.conf. It's going to be for windows !!
8
9 As with Paul, I've never done the MS Windows compilation thing (I don't
10 do proprietary at all, as I refuse to accept responsibility in the form
11 of a liability waiver for a "black box" I can't inspect the contents of;
12 since nearly all software freedomware and servantware alike disclaims
13 liability, that means I don't run servantware/proprietaryware at all...
14 unless of course someone else agreed to take that liability... and of
15 course the fact that someone wants to deprive me of my four freedoms when
16 running their software doesn't help either), however...
17
18 I HAVE used overlays and layman. You really should read the layman
19 manpage, as it gives all the details and there's really no replacement
20 for reading the documentation.
21
22 However, layman really doesn't use a whole new make.conf. It just sets
23 one variable in a file which should be chained onto your normal make.conf
24 using the source directive.
25
26 IOW, assuming you've left the make_conf: setting in /etc/layman/
27 layman.cfg at its default (%(storage)s/make.conf, where storage is /usr/
28 portage/local/layman, making the make_conf setting really /usr/portage/
29 local/layman/make.conf), you then add the following to the bottom of your
30 normal /etc/make.conf to chain layman's make.conf to it:
31
32 source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf
33
34 Layman's make.conf you won't edit directly. Layman will do that
35 automatically when you add overlays using the layman --add <overlay>
36 command, or delete them using layman --delete <overlay>.
37
38 As I said, while the file is still called make.conf by default, it's
39 really not a a whole new make.conf. All it sets is the single
40 PORTDIR_OVERLAY variable, no others, and you don't even need to worry
41 about that as it handles it automatically during normal layman
42 operation. It's not a whole make.conf on its own, nor does it act as
43 one, as it's entirely ignored unless you add the appropriate source
44 directive to the end of your normal make.conf, which simply tells portage
45 to include this second file as if it were part of the first.
46
47 But read the manpage, particularly (for this aspect) the
48 "Handling /etc/make.conf" section, which explains it.
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman