From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 18:57:35
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > If I understand this all then systemd, in it's current state, is going
3 > to require removing udev as a stand-along package, will remove
4 > sysvinit as systemd provides /sbin/init, and will also replace OpenRC
5 > with it's own code for starting and stopping services? It's a big
6 > change but it's one of the reasons why I built the backup install on
7 > the SSD. None of this really touches my spinning rust install I use
8 > daily.
9
10 I suggest you read the systemd docs. Installing systemd will not
11 remove sysvinit or openrc. However, after you change your kernel
12 command line they will not be run as pid1 or as a service manager, and
13 systemd has its own configuration for services. You can basically
14 switch back and forth as long as you maintain your settings in
15 parallel.
16
17 There is work to make it possible to use systemd without having openrc
18 installed. The main issue right now is a few packages use functions
19 in openrc which are not present in systemd, so that needs some
20 refactoring. However, having them both installed in parallel doesn't
21 really cost anything besides a few inodes (and not all that many).
22
23 Rich