From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [100% OFF TOPIC] Where does one learn about running vmware under Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:17:04
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Wil Reichert <wil.reichert@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >> So that's a couple of votes for Virtual-Box. (That's from Sun
4 >> correct?) emerge virtualbox-bin? It seems to want me to fetch
5 >> something first. I'll have to check into that.
6 >>
7 >> There's also Xen, right? Is it too early for an Open Source alternative?
8 >
9 > Theres also the kvm option as well. Its got tight kernel support so
10 > theres no extranious modules to add & it runs Windows XP for me just
11 > fine.
12 >
13 > Wil
14
15 Another country heard from! Thanks Wil.
16
17 XP is all I currently require as it's the only installable licenses I have.
18
19 This does raise another question as to whether the Linux kernel -
20 either gentoo-sources or rt-sources I use from the pro-audio overlay -
21 needs or benefits from turning on or off kernel features? And when you
22 update kernels is there anything that needs to be done to get these
23 working again or are they all more or less just a program running from
24 the host kernel's point of view?
25
26 Googling around for info on the relative performance of these (they
27 seem to be comparable) I also ran into another one called ProxMox of
28 all things. Not going to explore it for now.
29
30 Thanks,
31 Mark