From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 21:45:26
1 On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Damien Levac <damien.levac@×××××.com> skribis:
4 >> My humble opinion:
5 >>
6 >> If people want to work on a project, it is their own decision.
7 >
8 > That pertains to hobbyists. I’m purely a hobbyist, filling timek; I
9 > work on what I enjoy. Anyone who argues with that can keep it to
10 > themselves.
11 >
12 > But we are talking, instead, about profit and non-profit organizations
13 > that have goals and in some cases ask for our donations. Whose goals
14 > are being achieved?
15
16 You do need to consider the resources you're actually talking about
17 here. You can't compare the resources of a community-driven distro
18 like Gentoo to something like RedHat, and you can't even compare
19 something like RedHat with the likes of Google. At my workplace the
20 entire annual Gentoo budget would pay one employee for a few weeks
21 tops. Most of the more community-oriented distros try to use their
22 money as effort-multipliers. The Gentoo mailing lists, cvs, forums,
23 etc don't cost that much to run but they enable huge amounts of
24 community interaction.
25
26 And when you look at stuff like Freedesktop the goal is for you to be
27 able to plug a USB headset in and have it suddenly usable for phone
28 calls, just like on any other modern OS. Sure, fonts are also
29 something that can stand improvement, but they've actually come a long
30 way. I'd say that getting printers to work is more important - though
31 it is telling that even major vendors like Apple, Google, and
32 Microsoft haven't even tried to solve that problem on their new OSes.
35 Rich