From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:39:42
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:22:28 -0500
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> As a professional programmer, I completely disagree with any dogma
7 >> based on "philosophy" rather than technical merits.
8 >>
9 >> "So I think many of the "original ideals" of UNIX are these days more
10 >> of a mindset issue than necessarily reflecting reality of the
11 >> situation.
14 > That's not the issue here at all. The issue is the possible
15 > hegemony being imposed by systemd. Whether or not this is true
16 > this issue at least deserves some attention.
17
18 It's free software, as long as there is developers willing to work on
19 alternatives, there will be alternatives.
20
21 > Regarding the "Unix philosophy," I doubt that anyone still considers
22 > that a "pipeline of simple tools" is the ideal approach. Software
23 > has assumed gigantic proportions (to match hardware capabilities) of
24 > late and that traditional Unix model certainly would never fit.
25
26 Agreed.
27
28 > But not all software is gigantic. I would venture a guess that
29 > a large majority of programs are simple one-off concoctions designed
30 > to meet some simple individual need. In these cases it sure is nice
31 > to have the standard Unix tools available. I use them frequently
32 > for various simple purposes.
33
34 They are free software. You can keep them forever.
35
36 > Regarding the booting and configuring of a Linux system, the job can be
37 > either very complex or very simple. For the simple case, is there
38 > technical merit in having to use systemd? I would claim that there
39 > is not. For complex scenarios, by all means utilize systemd.
40 > But let's keep the appropriate tools available for the appropriate job.
41
42 Who's going to take them away? And besides, it is FREE SOFTWARE. Clone
43 the repositories, and keep a personal copy around forever if you like.
44
45 Regards.
46 --
47 Canek Peláez Valdés
48 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias